Two Duck Hens + Three eggs

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
Let me preface this by saying I just moved a trio of Khaki Campbells into a brand new pen on Sunday. Like I built it and they were moved. Yesterday when I went out to get eggs and check on everyone, I found three duck eggs in the pen. I only have two hens. Even stranger, two of the three eggs were soft-shelled. One was about the size of a ping pong ball. The other was about the size of a chicken egg, which is normal for them as they just started laying a couple of weeks ago and they aren’t laying big eggs yet. Both soft-shelled eggs had yolks.

They are on a laying feed, so I’ll be adding some calcium supplements for them also. But how in the world did two hens lay three eggs? I’ve never had that happen before.

One of my ducks just started laying a couple weeks ago and I had 2 days in a row that she laid 2 soft shelled eggs each day. Its pretty normal to have problems like that when they start laying. Just make sure you put out oyster shells so they can use them when they need, and keep an eye on the hen laying soft shell eggs. It wouldn't hurt to purchase some calcium gluconate from tractor supply co and give her .2ml per pound of body weight for a few days. I've attached pictures of 2 of the eggs that I got from my girl in the same day. It just takes them some time to get their egg machine working properly.

Attachments

• 20210114_142154.jpg
    20210114_142154.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210114_170816.jpg
    20210114_170816.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 2
In my experience stress, like moving, can cause soft shelled eggs. I have also seen my ducks make more than one soft shelled egg in one day.

When my ducks make soft shelled eggs for more than a day I take them to the vet and they have giving me calcium gluconate. You can buy it over the counter as well.

Thank you. Yes I have oyster shell and liquid calcium and a slew of other things. I was mostly curious about how one of the hens was able to produce two eggs with two yolks in the same day. I was under the impression that their reproductive system doesn’t work that way, although I haven’t done much reading on it.

Thank you. Yes I have oyster shell and liquid calcium and a slew of other things. I was mostly curious about how one of the hens was able to produce two eggs with two yolks in the same day. I was under the impression that their reproductive system doesn’t work that way, although I haven’t done much reading on it.
I was surprised the first time it happened too. My theory is that when the "shelling" is skipped there is time to make another egg. Complete theory, I could be wrong.

Have you read this?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

But how in the world did two hens lay three eggs? I’ve never had that happen before.
Birds are capable of laying two eggs in one day. My chickens do it from time to time. My ducks filled their nests surprisingly quick last year. Three laying ducks produced over 30 eggs in a nest in just over week. There was very likely a two egg day here and there for them.

Back
Top Bottom