Two Ducklings dying

rtrodr90

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
View attachment 1347475
We fed our two ducklings Purina Organic Starter/Grower crumbles and within a couple hours the first duckling died. The next day the second one passed. The ducklings were fine and the next second were on their backs feet up. I have never seen this before.
I went to my local feed store and they made me aware that this is what killed the ducklings. Before I make a huge stink at the tractor supply store, is this correct information?

View attachment 1347475
We fed our two ducklings Purina Organic Starter/Grower crumbles and within a couple hours the first duckling died. The next day the second one passed. The ducklings were fine and the next second were on their backs feet up. I have never seen this before.
I went to my local feed store and they made me aware that this is what killed the ducklings. Before I make a huge stink at the tractor supply store, is this correct information?
Never heard Purina feed had any trouble!

I’m so so sorry. I’ve never heard of the feed causing death. Did they tell you why they thought it was the feed? And if so, why are they selling it?
I went to another feed supply store and he asked me what I had them in and explained my brooder. He then asked what the food was and as soon as I told him he explained the exact symptoms they experienced (lethargic, wobbly legs, weak, laid on back with legs sticking straight up). He said never to feed them that food and that is what caused their death.

View attachment 1347475
Sorry for your losses. Sme questions.
  1. How old were the ducklings?
  2. How long had you had them?
  3. Did you buy them or hatch them?
  4. How man days did you feed them that food?
  5. What is the date code the bottom of the bag of food?
  6. What sort of brooder were they in?
  7. Were they warm enough?
  8. Were you using a non-teflon coated bulb?

I went to another feed supply store and he asked me what I had them in and explained my brooder. He then asked what the food was and as soon as I told him he explained the exact symptoms they experienced (lethargic, wobbly legs, weak, laid on back with legs sticking straight up). He said never to feed them that food and that is what caused their death.
That food should be fine if you add niacin.

Sorry for your losses. Sme questions.
  1. How old were the ducklings?
  2. How long had you had them?
  3. Did you buy them or hatch them?
  4. How man days did you feed them that food?
  5. What is the date code the bottom of the bag of food?
  6. What sort of brooder were they in?
  7. Were they warm enough?
  8. Were you using a non-teflon coated bulb?
All excellent questions!

That’s crazy. I’ve never heard of those collective symptoms before either.

It sounds more like new duck disease:

Riemerella anatipestifer Infection
This bacterial disease of ducks is also known as Pasteurella anatipestifer infection, infectious serositis and New Duck disease. Anatipestifer infection causes high mortality, weight loss and condemnation. In the acute form, listlessness, eye discharge and diarrhea are commonly seen. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck. Birds are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs. Typical lesions found in dead birds are infected air sacs, membranes covering the heart and liver, and meningitis. Preventive management and vaccination are effective means of control. Penicillin, enrofloxacin and sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim (0.04-0.08% in feed) are effective in reducing mortality.

Back
Top Bottom