Two ducks in SE Nebraska (PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by aimee, Aug 12, 2007.

1. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    I live at a lake about 35 miles south of Omaha and last week three ducks showed up on my neighbors dock. Well, something happened to one of them after the first night (which I'm still upset about [​IMG]) and I've been feeding the other two ever since. The neighbors gave me their kids little plastic pool for them to play in.

I'm pretty sure someone just dumped them here, thinking they would be okay on their at a lake. (People are such jerks.) And I'm pretty sure they were probably Easter presents that they realized didn't stay small fuzzy little "toys". [​IMG]

I wanted to keep them but I'm not going to be able too. I have five chickens and I'm pushing my luck having them.

The ducks are still a little nervous but are getting more and more tame. They will come to about a foot from me when I fill their food dish up.

I'll take a picture of them tomorrow but one is all white, I'm pretty sure it's a Pekin. The other one has a lot of brown to the feathers and the bill is a light brown color instead of yellow. I have no idea if they are boys or girls. Editted to add: I just did some research on Feathersite and I'm pretty sure the other is a female Buff Orpington.

I would really like to know they are going to a good home. A friend is going to ask a friend of hers with a farm tomorrow about taking them but I thought I would still put the word out here.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I'd love to see pic's Aimee, I was going to get ducks addded to my order but the hatchery didn't have any the day my order went out.

Perhaps with a pic someone could tell if they're boys or girls.

I think they might be too far from me as well.... Omaha is 5 hours from here.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  3. aimee

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Here's a couple pics of the ducks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chelly, I talked to DH and he said maybe would could meet in North Platte? They're really sweet ducks, just still pretty shy.

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Oh I totally missed your reply.

We go to North Platte on a regular basis - to buy groceries.....

I've got nothing ready for them - to live in! But we can make a plan...they look like both girls!

5. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    My husband is having a bit of an issue here......

We don' thave fencing up yet.. thats his biggest gripe. He needs to phone a man in town to get a quote - I've been telling him that for days!!

6. aimee

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Sorry, I'm just now posting back. I was in North Carolina for a couple of days taping a TV show.

The ducks are fine here for the time being, I'm still working on getting them more used to me. Just let me know if/when you want them.

7. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I really would like to have them, my kids would love them to bits!

I'm working still on the chicken coop - it will probably be big enough for a couple of ducks to share with the chicks... issue is fencing - we have another large shed to clear out - we want to wait on the fence so we can drive the pick up close enough to unload the large shed (thats going to be for my horse)

Its a HUGE task this clearing out sheds that have been standing packed for years......... and in this heat we only get a couple of hours work a day.... no AC either!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by