Two ducks, one clutch of eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quetsweyo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. quetsweyo

quetsweyo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    undefined:/ ive got 1 blue runner, Gabby, 10 months old, who set on the "community clutch" the girls created in the duck house. They did one before under the house but it was still down to 25F at night then. Anyway, she sat on them about a week, I went into the hospital for 3 days, came back and 10 month old khaki cambell, Radish, has joined her on the nest, first only at bedtime and now all day too. Sometimes 10 month old mallard drake, Marcel, joins them on nest. How is this going to play out do you think? Are they going to fight over ducklings? I already took out half the eggs, candled them and there in all stages of development. I want to know if I need to remove babes as they hatch. May start hatching 6-8,9. Thankful for any ideas, quetsweyo

2. quetsweyo

May 9, 2011
    undefined:( went out after i posed this ?? and all 4 ducks in duckhouse raising the roof. 2 broken eggs, early days, 1 weird eggshells w/no residue, just dry. Booted everyone but Gabby out and am getting ready to go check on her. Is 10 months too young to leave eggs/ducklings with? Anybody? q

3. Thegrayeyedgirl

Thegrayeyedgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    hmm..well I'm no duck expert, but this is definitely intriguing. Can you divide the clutch based on developmental age and give the younger aged group to one couple and the older ones to another? I'd like to hear from some duck experts on this one.

4. quetsweyo

May 9, 2011
    Thanks for your interest! I can candle them tonight if Gabby doesnt tear me a new one. She seemed very happy to be alome with the eggs. I put a plastic tub with wood shavings and 5 eggs not started in a large dog crate and Radish, who had been running around crying went in and saw the eggs. She got real quiet and still, made a little bawk and climbed in. She touched the eggs with her bill then started pulling shavings around them. I find this all very interesting. If Gabbys eggs dont start hatching today im going to move the younger eggs into the incubator with the other mixed-age eggs. These ducklings will be mixes of FW runner and mallard drakes with Blue runner and khaki campbell. I cant wait until they come so i see how they look. I wasnt planning on more ducks but when Gabby sit on them i didnt have it in me to take them away. Sorry so talkative, theres nnb6dy to talk to here and im excited. Cross your fingers please, Q.

5. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    My fingers are crossed for you and your little babies. [​IMG] I am getting eggs shipped to me for my broody muscovy, because she is just so intent on setting on eggs. I figure if she wants to be a mamma let her be. But her eggs arent fertile, due to no mature male. But as soon as those babies of yours hatch we need to see lots and lots of pictures! [​IMG]

6. quetsweyo

May 9, 2011
    undefined:D good of you to get your broody some babes to hatch! I have plenty of pictures already ( i allowed myself to buy a digital camera) and more every day. Ive got to go use the librarys computer and figure out how to post them. Anyway, Radish turned out to be a fair-weather momma coz when it hit 88F she left the nest and went running the yard with the boys, Marcel and Porkchop. Hussy. Also found 2 baby sparrows my Evil Cat Teyla drug out of their nest, ones got a broken wing i think but they both took some water and lil food. They dont usually make it though. Anybody want a cat? She does mice and moles too. Just kidding. OFF TOPIC! Have to get home, check on birds. Cross all fingers for Gabbys clutch. . . Q

7. quetsweyo

May 9, 2011
    undefined:/ well. . .yesterday it was 91F w/heat index of 98F and Gabby fled the nest. Put all eggs in el cheap-o incubator (styrofoam box w/heatiog element and nothing more). Hard time regulating temp in our current weather. Both baby sparrows, white crowned, died too. Not a good couple of days. Dr. Told me to take it easy the next 6 weeks so i dont know how i am going to build a coop. . .one piece of wood a day, i guess. Cross all fingers for eggs please, q

8. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Sorry your little sparrows died? Good of you to try and help them. Fingers and toes crossed for your babies! Mine arrived today and are under my pretty little broody muscovy. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] for all babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by