Two ducks with the same cut on their bill

Brooke_R

Crowing
Sep 15, 2020
Two different ducks got this same shaped cut on their bills. The one not pictured had no bump, however, a deeper and bloody cut. It turned into a scab it fell of. She’s healed now but today I noticed the same cut on this duck. Plus the bump. Does anyone know what could have caused this?

Attachments

• FEFA5342-3010-44A1-8C95-094D7BEC2FA6.jpeg
    FEFA5342-3010-44A1-8C95-094D7BEC2FA6.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 50A749AD-A5CD-490B-9E70-86069066C5E4.jpeg
    50A749AD-A5CD-490B-9E70-86069066C5E4.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 20
Two different ducks got this same shaped cut on their bills. The one not pictured had no bump, however, a deeper and bloody cut. It turned into a scab it fell of. She’s healed now but today I noticed the same cut on this duck. Plus the bump. Does anyone know what could have caused this?
Do you have a fence they could have gotten caught in? On of ours had a similar injury a few weeks ago. She stuck her head through chain-link and then back through another opening and got herself wedged. My husband had to work for several minutes to detangle her and she was left with a gouge on top of her bill, down to the bone, and some deeper cuts/punctures under her jaw. The attached photo is after two weeks of healing. It looked almost identical to your ducks’ injuries the first few days.

Attachments

• 5EB626F9-F99C-4D6B-A992-E3DF44F2BA4C.jpeg
    5EB626F9-F99C-4D6B-A992-E3DF44F2BA4C.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 18
x2 about the fencing or wires on the coop. My duck got a bill injury that was a scrape on the top and I took her to the vet. The vet thought she got it by sticking her bill through her aviary bars to get grass/bugs on the other side. The vet was very nonchalant about the injury and suggested that I use a thin layer of antibiotic ointment without pain reliever daily. I did and the bill healed up perfectly. It looks fine now, but it took months to heal. At checkups the vet was pleased with her progress.

Do you have a fence they could have gotten caught in? On of ours had a similar injury a few weeks ago. She stuck her head through chain-link and then back through another opening and got herself wedged. My husband had to work for several minutes to detangle her and she was left with a gouge on top of her bill, down to the bone, and some deeper cuts/punctures under her jaw. The attached photo is after two weeks of healing. It looked almost identical to your ducks’ injuries the first few days.
x2 about the fencing or wires on the coop. My duck got a bill injury that was a scrape on the top and I took her to the vet. The vet thought she got it by sticking her bill through her aviary bars to get grass/bugs on the other side. The vet was very nonchalant about the injury and suggested that I use a thin layer of antibiotic ointment without pain reliever daily. I did and the bill healed up perfectly. It looks fine now, but it took months to heal. At checkups the vet was pleased with her progress.
Thank you so much I didn’t think about that. I’ll try to find where that could have happened. :)

Back
Top Bottom