1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two eggs = 3 chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cutiepieacres, Apr 3, 2009.

1. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I have got eggs hatching right now. Some Serama eggs and 7 black copper marans. The incubaor is in my room so I woke up to the sound of peeping. Looking into the window I saw thee chicks looks like a Serama and a black copper Maran and another smaller BCM. Looking around still, I spot the Serama's empty shell and the 1 BCM shell but no other shells, to be seen. I still have more hatching so I cant open it up but I have looked VERY careuly and none of the othe eggs are hollow!

I think maybe both BCM babies came from a single egg!! If so they grew and hatched normally on their own, one is just about 1/2 size of the other.

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!!

Quote:

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    That is certainly cool if it is the case.

Kind of like a surprise two for one special?

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    That certainly can happen! Cool!!!!!!!! Hope the smaller twin makes it.... Get your camera! Go! NOW!!!!

[​IMG]

5. prinls

prinls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I always thought that the double yolkers wouldn't hatch. I'm dying to know.[​IMG]

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I'm thinking with one being greatly smaller than the other it was probably a double yolker! Very cool!

I would be interested in seeing that egg--did they each pip out different ends? One pip first and the other just pushed out the same hole?

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    there was a great threadon this just a few days ago, search for it, her pics were amazing

8. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Wow! That is awesome! And BC Marans no less!

I'd love to see pictures too!

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Wow and they hatched without assistance, that really is rare. Major congrats!

10. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    so heres a pic of the "twin" chicks.
    [​IMG]

They sure look a like, but they are infact not, while running around in the inubator they kicked around a couple eggs and one that looked intact was a shell. So I have three healthy babies from 3 normal eggs.... I looked and looked so long the first time I was sure but I guess you see what you want to, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by