Two eggs a day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pgpoultry, Aug 5, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    A young, rather large, Brahma hen of mine has laid two eggs today, one after the other.

She is the only hen who lays on the dog's bed (!) and her eggs are distinctive....lighter than anybody elses'.

Today she wandered off to the outhouse...to the dog's bed.... and, seeing her come out I went to collect her egg and found two warm eggs ....definitely hers.

She is an impressive hen!

Anybody else getting two a day from one hen?

Sandie

2. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Impressive! You are lucky! As far as I know I've never had a hen lay two eggs in one day!

3. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    My Leghorns will do that occasionally. I wish they wouldn't. That silliness is not good for them.

4. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    I have a quail that lays two a day! don't know which one but as i have 3 quails and i get 4 in a day at least once a week! A chicken laying more than one a day is very impressive!

5. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I would try to breed for that! Maybe you can develope a breed of "Full auto egg layers"! [​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Now we need to get them to lay on demand.....not , as in my case, anywhere (dog's bed, under wood pile, behind fences, under trampoline etc) and anytime.

But it would kind of take the fun out of the process if they came out of the coop and they all laid to the command of ....'Eggtime'.[​IMG]

Sandie

7. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    I've had one before that did that, but she laid real early morning (probably did lay the day before. Then laid late in the day (afternoon), she was the only one that laid in that peticular nest box, so I know it was her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by