Two eggs from the same chicken the same day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bebo0707, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Bebo0707

Bebo0707 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I have eight hens who all started laying over the past six or seven weeks. For the last eight days I have been getting eight eggs a day. There is someone out there in the pen doing the "chicken song" right now. Is it possible for one hen to lay two eggs in one day? They have 14 hours of light in the coop daily and they seem to lay about the same time each day,in the morming.

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I guess there are always exceptions to the rules, but a chicken's ovulation cycle is 25hrs and she cannot lay two eggs in one day. When the chicken hatches, her left ovary withers and becomes useless. All normal chickens have only a right functioning ovary. I guess it's possible for a chicken to have two functioning ovaries but that would be a rare occurance. Chances are, all your girls lay once a day.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yes i think its okay. at one time, i owned only 5 chickens, and receieved 6 eggs that day....mmmm i know someone layed 2 .... but who i thought...... she ended up passing away months late. i am sure that was her. rip. my sweet hen... but perhaps she had other issues going on.

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Not sure what kind of chickens you have but when my Comets were a little bit younger I had a hen who laid 2 eggs everyday even during recovery from a fox attack! She is great! Her name is Aggie (short for Agatha --don't tell her--[​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by