Two eggs in a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicklover16, Jul 15, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    today I got two eggs from my Buff Orpington (who just recently started laying) just wanted to make sure this is normal...........or not.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I've never heard of a hen laying 2 eggs in one day. Usually it's a 25 hr cycle. Are you sure it's from the same hen? If so you've got you a Super Hen!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    is she the only hen in that coop?

It's *possiable*, usually if one moves slow the other can catch up, but it's more common that another hen began laying, or that you missed an egg the day before (or she laid it at night, and again this afternoon).

In short, it happens, it's unusual, she may skip laying tomorrow.

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Yep if they've just started laying this is normal. Usually one of them might have a soft shell or be misshapen, but it happens.

Congrats!!

5. meekasmom

meekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Elkhart, IN
    I know one of my hens laid 2 eggs in a 24 hour period last summer. It can happen.

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    One of mine laid two in the space of an hour, and as these were her first ever eggs I just assumed the first one was ready to go but kinda got stuck or something, so the next one pushed it out. Both were perfectly formed with hard shells and were a decent size.

We are 100% certain they were from the same hen as she was the only one laying, the only one who looked ready to lay, and I picked up the first egg myself while it was still warm, then got the other one an hour later when I got back from the daycare run because I heard her do the egg song again.

7. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I had a spell where I had only 2 laying hens and was getting 4 eggs a day. I was tld by someone on here that it is not a good think for it to happen continuously. Once in awhile is alright and can happen.

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've been hearing about this more and more--- Especially for leghorns.

Also--- if chickens were on that predicted 25 hour schedule, then it wouldn't be possible to have an egg a day-- Eventually they would pass the midnight mark--- but it seems many many people get daily eggs from one hen. I have one hen that is always laying her egg around 9AM. She is sooo remarkable. On my page, I post her consecutive count for this clutch...and that is in 100-degree temps.

Also noticed that the past 3-days, my hens were laying their eggs in pecking order highest to lowest sequence. I have only 3 and just one nest box.

Is it possible that modern chickens are 'evolving' to produce even more eggs? Just a thought to throw out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by