Two eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenniferCNY, Oct 6, 2016.

1. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    I got 7 eggs today from my 6 pullets who are laying. Yesterday I got 4 eggs. Could one of them who didn't lay yesterday lay 2 eggs today?

2. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    Most likely, What are the age of your girls? Your pullets are most likely working their systems out and will lay more consistent as they get older. No need to worry unless one stops for a long while.

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I have a three year old that will let two eggs in a day at least once a week.

4. JenniferCNY

Aug 28, 2016
    They are 27 weeks. They've been really good layers since they started (still waiting for 2 EEs to start). Makes sense that they are still working things out.

Chicken lover, any idea why that happens with your hen? What breed?

5. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    She's a golden sex link. Not sure why she keeps doing this since she's older.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @JenniferCNY what breeds are your birds?
    Maybe the EE have started laying?....they don't always lay blue/green.

High production breeds like leghorns or sexlinks are more prone to multiple eggs in one day,
    they are crosses bred to produce lots of eggs and often go into overdrive when they first start laying.
    Often one of those eggs is a softshell egg.

@ChickenLover200 has she always done that?

7. JenniferCNY

Aug 28, 2016
    I have 2 buff orpingtons, 3 barred rocks and 1 EE that are laying. I hope the 7th egg wasn't from one of my two not-yet-laying EEs! I want more green eggs!!

Total noobie question: is there a name for pullets of laying age that aren't laying yet?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    All female chickens are called pullets until they are one year old, then they're called hens.
    All males are called cockerels until one year, then cocks, cockbirds, or roosters.
    Not sure when they go from being called chicks to pullets and cockerels.....I guess as soon as you can tell gender, which is usually about 5-6 weeks.

Oh yes, we all want more blue or green or olive eggs....alas, sometimes we are disappointed.

You can check vents and pelvic points to tell who is laying and who is not....it's pretty accurate, but takes some practice.
    Compare the ones you know are laying with the ones who might be or not be laying.
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

9. JenniferCNY

Aug 28, 2016
    @aart Thank you for all the info! I will take a close look at the girls tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by