Two eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pigeons in ak, Jan 5, 2014.

1. pigeons in ak

pigeons in ak Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    Alaska
    I have a pair a bobwhite quails. The hen started laying about a week ago. Today she laid an egg at 6:00 in the morning like always then 30 minutes later she laid another egg but this egg had on shell. Why did she lay the egg? Will she lay more eggs like this? And will she lay an egg tomorrow?

These are the eggs she laid today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't give you a scientific answer as to why she laid two, but if you butcher a hen you will see they have a string of yolks "in process" for the days to come. Basically it looks like a string of sausage links or something but there are usually around 5 yolks inside a bird all in a line waiting to get out. My guess is that the second one fell off the tree so to speak. If it is happening often it may be a problem. If not don't worry about it. I've seen quail lay all types of oddball eggs.

edit to add:

Are you feeding her calcium supplement like oyster shell? Lack of calcium can cause shell-less eggs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. pigeons in ak

Oct 15, 2013
    Alaska
    I give her crushed oyster shells and lettuce daily.

4. dc3085

Is this her first season laying? Is she on artificial lights?

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    She just started laying so she still hasn't gotten the hang of it yet. The first month of laying is where you will find most strange eggs without there being a problem. I wouldn't worry about it with her being so young unless she makes a habit of it.

6. pigeons in ak

Oct 15, 2013
    Alaska
    its her first season laying and i give her 16 hours of artificial light.

7. dc3085

Either one or both of those things is most likely the cause. The first bit of each hens laying career usually has some oddball eggs until she gets in the pattern. Artificial light also plays into egg shenanigans frequently. I doubt it is anything to worry over.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It takes time to get young layers into gear of laying properly. And it is never advised to force new layers yet with light. The egg without the shell could have become stuck in the oviduct. Let them age before adding light to young layers. :)

9. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    clear eggs! usually produced by new layers as said above. you get one or two hiccoughs before the ladies settle down. ive gotten several double yolkers this way from new girls

10. ggschulz

ggschulz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    I wish I had taken pictures, but I have a couple newbies that I took off of someone's hands who in the span of a week laid rubber eggs (shelless) a VERY large double yolker, and an egg smaller than a small marble. 80% or more have been normal eggs. Youngins working the kinks out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by