1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two Feed Quetions ... Advice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have two, 10 gallon buckets full of wheat seed, how much protein does it have? I just been mixing it with my layer pellets. They don't like it as much ... but they still eat it.

Somebody gave me a bag of Cedar shavings and inside of it were 2 bags of Hamster/Gerbil Formula .. can I feed it to my chickens?

Thanks - [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

oooohhh something I know!!!!

[​IMG]

Soft white wheat has 10% protein. Hard red wheat has 17.8% protein. If you don't know what kind it is, then if it is from the mid-west, it is probably hard red wheat. Soft white wheat is from the pacific NW is what I have heard.....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  3. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Um, this wheat is kind of a soft red color. [​IMG]
    Is it good for them, does it help with anything? [​IMG]
    What about the other food? [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Wheat fresh pasture - 28%
    Wheat silage - 10%
    Wheat straw - 4%
    Wheat grain - 13%
    Wheat grain hard - 14%
    Wheat grain soft - 12%
    Wheat brand - 18%
    Wheat midds - 18%
    Wheat mill run - 17%
    Wheat shorts - 20%

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/livestk/01615.html

Chris

6. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I have learned from BYC that Cedar Shavings are bad for chickens. Just thought you should know.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I used a little cedar mixed in with my pine shavings once and just one of my flock had a reaction. She started to wheeze a good bit. I gave her to a friend that wanted a pet and she wheezed for some time afterwards but it finally cleared up.

I haven't added cedar since then.

I'd feed the gerbil mix to them as treats thrown on the ground. I can't imagine it could hurt. As for the wheat....why not find a grinder and keep it for bread? [​IMG] Or, better yet, if you really want to give your chickens good nutrition...sprout your wheat and feed the sprouts. This increases the nutritive value quite a bit beyond the actual grain.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Tdub4chiks: Yes, I know that Cedar shavings are toxic. [​IMG] I used just a little bit of them in the bottom of my nesting boxes, and then put pine shavings on top. [​IMG]

Beekissed: I'll start feeding it to them then! [​IMG] We already have a ton of wheat in our cellar that we grind up into flour and make bread with it. [​IMG] We planted one of our field by the house in wheat, it's right by the chicken pen. It's starting to sprout so the chickens have been gobbling in up. Last year oats sprouted and the chickens went nutZ over'em! [​IMG]

9. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Tdub4chiks: Yes, I know that Cedar shavings are toxic. [​IMG] I used just a little bit of them in the bottom of my nesting boxes, and then put pine shavings on top. [​IMG]

Beekissed: I'll start feeding it to them then! [​IMG] We already have a ton of wheat in our cellar that we grind up into flour and make bread with it. [​IMG] We planted one of our field by the house in wheat, it's right by the chicken pen. It's starting to sprout so the chickens have been gobbling in up. Last year oats sprouted and the chickens went nutZ over'em! [​IMG]

Sounds like ur chickens have it made!! [​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh thank you (and the other poster too) for the correction. Luckily I have been heavy on the wheat BRAN so the website I got my misinformation from didn't damage my chickens!!!

I will have to recalculate my feed recipe for 14% protein instead of 17% (wheat).

I'm sorry Mrs. Fluffy Puffy for telling you something wrong!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by