Two Feed Quetions ... Advice

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
I have two, 10 gallon buckets full of wheat seed, how much protein does it have? I just been mixing it with my layer pellets. They don't like it as much ... but they still eat it.

Somebody gave me a bag of Cedar shavings and inside of it were 2 bags of Hamster/Gerbil Formula .. can I feed it to my chickens?

Thanks -
smile.png

oooohhh something I know!!!!

ya.gif

Soft white wheat has 10% protein. Hard red wheat has 17.8% protein. If you don't know what kind it is, then if it is from the mid-west, it is probably hard red wheat. Soft white wheat is from the pacific NW is what I have heard.....

Last edited:
I used a little cedar mixed in with my pine shavings once and just one of my flock had a reaction. She started to wheeze a good bit. I gave her to a friend that wanted a pet and she wheezed for some time afterwards but it finally cleared up.

I haven't added cedar since then.

I'd feed the gerbil mix to them as treats thrown on the ground. I can't imagine it could hurt. As for the wheat....why not find a grinder and keep it for bread?
big_smile.png
Or, better yet, if you really want to give your chickens good nutrition...sprout your wheat and feed the sprouts. This increases the nutritive value quite a bit beyond the actual grain.

Tdub4chiks: Yes, I know that Cedar shavings are toxic.
smile.png
I used just a little bit of them in the bottom of my nesting boxes, and then put pine shavings on top.
smile.png

Beekissed: I'll start feeding it to them then!
smile.png
We already have a ton of wheat in our cellar that we grind up into flour and make bread with it.
wink.png
We planted one of our field by the house in wheat, it's right by the chicken pen. It's starting to sprout so the chickens have been gobbling in up. Last year oats sprouted and the chickens went nutZ over'em!
tongue.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Tdub4chiks: Yes, I know that Cedar shavings are toxic.
smile.png
I used just a little bit of them in the bottom of my nesting boxes, and then put pine shavings on top.
smile.png

Beekissed: I'll start feeding it to them then!
smile.png
We already have a ton of wheat in our cellar that we grind up into flour and make bread with it.
wink.png
We planted one of our field by the house in wheat, it's right by the chicken pen. It's starting to sprout so the chickens have been gobbling in up. Last year oats sprouted and the chickens went nutZ over'em!
tongue.png

Sounds like ur chickens have it made!!
clap.gif

Quote:
Oh thank you (and the other poster too) for the correction. Luckily I have been heavy on the wheat BRAN so the website I got my misinformation from didn't damage my chickens!!!

I will have to recalculate my feed recipe for 14% protein instead of 17% (wheat).

I'm sorry Mrs. Fluffy Puffy for telling you something wrong!!!

Back
Top Bottom