Two female Pekin ducks, over a year old have never laid an egg...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scsantistevan, Jul 9, 2010.

1. scsantistevan

scsantistevan New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Spring Creek
    I have 2 female pekin ducks, both over a year old, neither have laid an egg. We had a third duck, a male, but he became very agressive to one of the females so we got rid of him. I ordered them from McMurray Hatchery all together. They have a pool to swim in and access to the chicken coop (plenty big for all), and they get scratch and layer mash. My husband thinks one of them may be a male, but the male that we got rid of was the only one with a drake feather. I don't need fertilized eggs, but I would really like to have some (which was the point of getting the ducks)! I have heard they taste different from chicken eggs. If anyone has had the same problem or any ideas please help, I'll try anything!

Sarah:D

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Do they free range or are they penned up 24/7? The reason I ask is if they free range then they are hiding there eggs from you. If they are penned up then they most likely are males. Do you have pics of them?

You said they were a year old. Do they make a loud quack or a hissing raspy noise?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. scsantistevan

scsantistevan New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Spring Creek
    They are penned up, with our chickens (we don't live in a place safe for free-roaming). Their area is about 16ft x16ft. They both have a very loud quack, especially when we go in the pen to feed them, and neither has any sort of drake tail feather. They look exactly like the pictures of females I see in magazines!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by