two flocks merge?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chilebound, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    I have two flocks one of 10 that free ranges and sleeps in a tractor, and the other of 16 that lives in a coop and run. I am fearing that the tractor wont be warm enough as the insulated and well built coop. I am considering combing the two flocks in the coop for the winter.....what are the pros and cons of such a move? (this is my first year of chicken) The coop is fit for 20-25, so it would be a tight sqeeze too because i would be going over the square footage guidelines--but the run is large......

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Have they been in view of each other this whole time? I wouldn't think integration would be that hard. I've gotten mine through all sorts of tricky introductions. Maybe I just have docile birds.

If you can let them all free range together for a while, I think you wouldn't have much problem. Out in the open they'll learn how to interact with each other. At night you'll probably have to put some on the roost where you want them, but they'll soon figure it out. After a couple weeks of integration on the range, you should be able to start locking them in the run full time.

If you're still having trouble, try letting out the penned birds, and putting the rangers in their pen for a few hours. That way they'll know the ins and outs of where to hide, where the food and water are, and where to roost.

Unless you have birds vastly different in size or breed, I bet this will work for you. Good luck!

3. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    thanks for the great advice and information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by