Two free-ranging roosters, one coop - possible?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ravie, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Hi guys,
    I visited a lady who raises chickens and of course we were eager to talk about our favorite topic! I told her how my 3 year-old Australorp rooster is a bit of a jerk. He's excellent with his ladies (even the silkie!) but he likes to pick fights with me and my husband. We've removed his spurs so he doesn't really hurt us. Some days he doesn't bother us at all and others it's just obvious he's looking for a fight.

She said that she had that problem with all of her roosters until she started keeping two. I certainly have enough hens (31 and counting), to keep two boys happy, but don't want to get another boy just because of one person's success. She tells me that the roosters do their job with the ladies and also keep each other busy and don't bother people at all anymore. They free-range all day on several acres and then she closes their coop behind them when they go in at night. She lets them out first thing in the morning.

What do you guys think? Is it possible another rooster might help my current rooster's temperament? Do you think two boys can get along if they're cooped up for a few hours each morning (until I get outside to let them out. Sometimes this is as late as 10am)? My current coop is about 8x12.

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    My coop is 8x8. Ive got my flock plus 3 roosters in there. They are fine. They get along good and usually stay close to each other when they are out and about. i think you Could have 2 or 3 roosters with no problem.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you`re gonna have two of the bloodiest roosters you`ve ever seen. They won`t get along. No way, no how. Roosters have to be raised together to get along and then it`s a crap shoot. Just my humble opinion from 53 years keeping chickens..........Pop

4. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Let me know how it works out I have the same problem....I think it will end up with me and the roo getting in to it and the roo losing the fight I have young childern and a wife to look out for my RooI really like and dose well with the flock but if its him or the kids well easy answer to that one..... [​IMG] the roo goes

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You might be able to raise up a young male from chicks that your current male will tolerate. But, why not just kick out the one who attacks you and get two new ones. (That way if one is a butt you can keep the good one.)

6. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Mine were not raised together and no blood was ever seen. Im introducing a young 4th one tonight or the beginning of the week. Ill let you know how they do. Could be too that the ones im introducing are younger.

7. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    BairleaFarm - Can you tell me if your roosters were raised together. Are they free-ranging now?

Pop - How about you? Have the roosters you've raised together come from a free-ranging lifestyle? [​IMG]

I've had a few people tell me that certain things simply can't be done, and I've managed to do them anyway. So I really like hearing WHY you think they can't be done.

Thanks for your input! More please!

8. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Yeah, I keep thinking about "getting rid of" the rooster that attacks me. I have a couple reasons for being hesitant. One is that I adopted him from a family who'd previously kept him as a pet. They still love getting updates about him and they'd be devastated if I ate their beloved rooster. Another reason I keep him around is because he is so gentle toward the hens. The third reason I keep him around is because he has let me do whatever I wanted. He runs with ducks and guineas, chicks, and mamas with chicks. He hasn't hurt any of them. I am not sure if I could find another rooster so nice (in that way).

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I try to free range all of my chicks for as long as possible, but the point I want you to be aware of is that chickens are very territorial and do not like strangers. The problem is bad enough for hens, but is compounded with roosters. I`m aware that some folks have individuals that don`t have bloody fights from the get go, but those are the exception rather than the rule. Try it, you may get lucky, but have a plan B in case the old man knows what he`s talking about. Good luck.......Pop

10. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    This woman had a rooster when that rooster was a month old she introduced another rooster. They lived together I got them when they were 2/3 months old. a week after than I put another 1 month old roster in with them. they are now 3/4/5 months old. The oldest is the biggest and the protector of the flock. The 3 month old is the smallest. Now that I think about it they dont even mess with new chicks that are introduced to the flock. The only injury ive had was on a week old turkey and im not sure who did it. They are 100% free range. I dont even close the coop most nights. Food, water, and many an acre available at will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by