Two friendly Cochin bantam cockerels - Eastern Shore of Maryland

lowflyer

Chirping
Mar 9, 2015
Out of six bantams from Tractor Supply, turns out 5 of the 6 are cockerels. I was hoping for a more even split between males and females, but it was not to be.

I am going to have to part with a few of my pet Cochin cockerels, as the hens are not too happy about having so many enthusiastic little suitors. Especially the standard size hens. A big Golden Comet hen getting rogered by a little fluttery mini-chicken is funny as hell to us, but I'm sure they're getting tired of putting up with teenage avian midgets on their backs every time they turn around.

• White Cochin formerly known as Belva...now known as Bilbo
  • Silver splashed Cochin formerly known as Asphodel...now known as Déagol
  • Gold laced Cochin formerly known as Primula...now known as Frodo (he didn't want to pose for a good picture, even though he is the prettiest, very colorful)

$10 each or $25 all three, with accessories, will consider offers to good homes.

I hand raised them from day old chicks, so they are very social and people-friendly. They love attention, and will scurry around your feet begging for treats, and like being held and petted.

They are all about four months old, healthy and lively, and are almost full grown at about 1.5 to 2 pounds average. They look bigger because they have long fluffy feathers, but as bantams, they are miniature versions of larger breeds. They have feathered legs and feet, so that's why I call them little hobbits.

Selling them as pets only, not as "Cornish Game Hens" or some kind of single serving dish.

Cochins don't really fly, but they can flap and flutter a few feet. These guys do like to find a place to launch and flutter into your arms or onto your shoulder so you can hold them. I don't clip wings, ever.

These little guys are very tame and docile, have no fear of people, so they are going to be vulnerable and must have a secure coop with a pen for their own protection. I do let them free range to some extent, they love wandering around in my garden hunting for bugs and weeds, never straying far from me. But we have foxes and hawks, so I don't let them out loose unless I'm there.

I wish I didn't have to find new homes for them, I love them all and their funny little personalities. But I can't have so many roosters in the flock, to keep harmony and hormones to a reasonable equilibrium.

Will include the portable mini-pen I was building for them, if you take all three. It's like a chicken tractor, but smaller and lighter, designed to be picked up and set down where ever you want them to forage in your yard. Nothing fancy, but perfect bantam size for a backyard. Just toss a tarp or something over it for some shade, put a water dispenser in there, and let them hunt for bugs and ticks and weeds to their hearts content...then pick it up and move it to a new location. Needs the peaked top assembled if you want it.

Update...

RIP Bilbo.

Had to separate them from the hens, as they were constantly mass piling on the poor girls. A fox got Bilbo, all I found was a trail of pure white feathers.

The others are up for grabs.

Back
Top Bottom