Two friends. When one died, she mourned

Banana01

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
San Martin, Peru
Story of two friends, and when he died she mourned

When I first moved into my house, this one adult rooster started sleeping in the house at night. He became my adopted pet and lived with me. He was a loner and had bouts with gout and other illness. Then I bought an old hen with the intent of making soup, but I wanted to let her live a while. She and the rooster became inseperable because the rooster was not sexual in any way, and she was too old to be broody.

One morning, I found them like this. The rooster must of had left the coop just fine, but collapsed and died soon after walking some ways. The hen was sitting on top of him like this, and it was sad because they were so close. The best part is that they got to be friends for a while, and that they were together in life. The hen died a couple days after of natural causes as she was also steadily declining in health. They must have been sitting like this since the sun came up about half an hour, I took the picture first thing when I left the house. I had to pull her off him, she didn't want to move.
20210518_092839.jpg

Very touching story of your birds. And some people say animals have no feelings.

I had two Black Australorps left out of an original 4. The last two hung around a lot together. One afternoon we found one of them dead on the ground. No injury or reason (they were young birds too). Anyway, the last one was very lethargic for almost a week after. She wasn't eating much and just sat there while the other chickens went about their chicken business. I couldn't see anything wrong with her. Then she started perking up again and has just started laying again. So I am wondering if maybe she was just missing her sister. :hmm

I'm sure people will say she was a flock animal, and didn't want to be alone, but I don't buy that. If animals have enough personality and feeling to enjoy the company of one friend over another of the same species, why would they not miss that friend?

Thank you for the beautiful story. May they both rest in peace, roaming the fields of heaven.

Story of two friends, and when he died she mourned

When I first moved into my house, this one adult rooster started sleeping in the house at night. He became my adopted pet and lived with me. He was a loner and had bouts with gout and other illness. Then I bought an old hen with the intent of making soup, but I wanted to let her live a while. She and the rooster became inseperable because the rooster was not sexual in any way, and she was too old to be broody.

One morning, I found them like this. The rooster must of had left the coop just fine, but collapsed and died soon after walking some ways. The hen was sitting on top of him like this, and it was sad because they were so close. The best part is that they got to be friends for a while, and that they were together in life. The hen died a couple days after of natural causes as she was also steadily declining in health. They must have been sitting like this since the sun came up about half an hour, I took the picture first thing when I left the house. I had to pull her off him, she didn't want to move.
View attachment 2676127
Had a similar story to this. A rooster and his foster mother. Once she died, he always kept waiting for her in her favorite roosting spot in hopes to see her again. He was always a momma's boy. Even though he has enormous. Chickens truly have feelings and love for one another. Its sad to see them leave.

Back
Top Bottom