Two Frizzled Younglings -- unknown gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moondance, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Moondance

Moondance Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    Its been a very long time since I last had my own chickens.... but generally, I USED to be able to tell what was what once they reached a certain age, as 95% of the time, by the time the chicks were fully feathered, you could tell what was going to be what on the basis of their combs and wattles.
    Well, this little pair I'm not 100% sure about... So I thought I'd ask for the bigger opinion.

Don't know EXACTLY what age they are, as I only got them 6 days ago...

On the day I got them, which was last Saturday:
    [​IMG]
    (and yes, I know their bed is really messy, I wasn't expecting to get them and I got home after an EXTREMELY long day, very late at night, so I just put all of what was in their travel box, into their little nest box for the night)

And today, Friday, 6 days later:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm absolutely in love with these little darlings, especially the tan and grey chicklet.... so I'm REALLY hoping they are NOT roosters, as if they are roosters, once they start crowing, I have to move them on....
    I also have no idea what colour they are...
    The white/rusted one is odd though, how only the colours on the front half of the body have the rusty tips....

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    very pretty! I'd say you lucked out and got pullets

3. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    Oh I very much do hope so ramirezframing!!!

They're actually curled up on a small ledge INSIDE my granny flat, lol. Its kinda cold out tonight, I felt bad having them outside.

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    X2

5. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    Fingers crossed then! I certainly hope they are too!!!!

6. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I see nothing that would make me think roo, so I am guessing two pullets as well :) They sure are adorable!

8. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    Thanks for the comments on how pretty they are.
    I got a call saying "you couldn't possibly take on two young chickens could you, they're those frizzley things" and I'm not even supposed to have chickens at all, but I do love frizzles, so I said I'd go look at them. I laid eyes on them and said immediately "I'll take them!!!!!!!"

They've very obviously not had a lot of human contact, as they're very wary of people, super shy, hell to catch and when you pick them up/catch them, they SCREAM at the top of their little lungs. But I'm working on hopefully making them a bit more friendly.

I named the tannish/grey one Lachova (actually pronounced like Luck-Ova, like its Russian, lol), the cream with rust tips is named Improla, but I call her Icey, lol.

9. lorabethwiggins

lorabethwiggins New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    They both look like pullets like me! Lucky lucky!

10. Moondance

Mar 9, 2012
    Awesome, thanks everybody!
    Good to get some kinda thoughts to back me up! :D

Will have to take more pictures when they're a bit older and show you how they look as they get older.

Wish I knew exactly how old they are, so I could know when to start expect laying.... but I think its way too soon for that yet, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by