Two Ganders, what now?

BrukeyBrooke

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
Washington
We have ducks and added two geese awhile back, rescued from someone desperate to rehome them. They were young, and their sex was unknow. Prayed for one of each... we had them DNA sexed, and we just found out they are both male. What now? More geese is not an option. Thoughts?

They have shown some aggression toward my ducks, so I have been leaving them out to free range most of the day with my lone drake while the girls have the whole run and coop, and the two ganders and drake are quite the pack. But this arrangement is not good long term, more of a temporary solution until my younger girls are old enough to be around the drake.

Last edited:
Two ganders if raised together are fine, geese are very social and appreciate ccompany of their own kind regardless of gender, you may still get horomonal squabbles in breeding season, but as long as the fight ends and the vanquished can get away they’re fine, they’ll be best buds again a few minutes after a fight.

They will need their own enclosure, geese can’t defend themselves from predators, also the Drake isn’t necessarily safe from them, geese can get along with ducks, but in many cases they do not.

Thanks Goosebaby. When I pen them at night, I secure all of the girls inside the coop, while the ganders and the drake have the run. So they’re all secured. The boys seem to get along really well.

Ah that's so cute. Your baby geese are locked down safe for the night. I have not yet raised geese. I dream on it. Of it. Glad they safe and loved. I have guineas now and chicks. I'm very interested in geese. So I might pop in to learn.

You’ll have to zoom in quite a bit, but you can see the ganders and drake, and my female pup standing by. If I open the door and get closer, they’ll scramble a bit.

Attachments

• E03167CA-F36F-435C-A1A9-85EECC12B96B.jpeg
    E03167CA-F36F-435C-A1A9-85EECC12B96B.jpeg
    594.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom