Two Geese Dead, One Pullet Near Death-Is it Botulism?

Could you take some of her droppings to your local vet?

They should be able to do a fecal float test (regardless of the species) and provide information to either confirm or rule out parasites.

I would also go the necropsy route to see if it's something that could affect your flock.

Both tests should be free or very inexspensive (unsure about shipping charges when sending birds in).

It sounds like you are doing everything you can. Unfortunately, if it is coming from the stream, what starts upriver doesn't stay upriver. :( It may be worth taking a trip to see if there is anything come down stream.

I eagerly await the results of your investigation and hope you have no further losses.

MrsB

Last edited:
You can always call the environmental people and tell them the water had a funny smell and if they could test it. I'm hoping that would be the inexpensive way to go.

My geese and chickens get different feeds, and I've gone through multiple bags since first noticing symptoms. Botulism is a remote possibility, because all of the birds are kept in a fenced-in area away from the house and other outbuildings. The one thing everyone has access to is the water, and it really does seem like some water-born parasite or toxin is what is going on here. How only three out of 31 got it, I'm not sure. Is it possible that the others just fought it off? I suppose it could be in their systems, and will rear its ugly head at some point in the future. I hope not.
Ducks are some of the most prone to getting botulism, and they mostly get it from dead fish in the water, where fish can get landlocked and die. So water would probably be a good source if it was botulism. Here are a couple of good articles on botulism in waterfowl:
http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-biology/understanding-waterfowl-waterfowl-diseases/page2
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26493--,00.html

Is botulism transmittable? I have the sick pullet sectioned off from the other birds, but they are still breathing the same air...And who's to say the other birds didn't ingest the same water? Would botulism show up in a necropsy or stool test?

I do think that botulism will show up in a necropsy, but it won't show up in a stool test. It is not contagious, but it can be spread by another animal eating part of an infected animal's body. So if a chicken dies the body should be burned or taken far away to bury very deeply.

I just looked in Merck Manual, and they say that the botulinum toxin can be tested for in the serum (blood,) and in washings of the crop, gizzard, and intestines of a dying or freshly dead bird. An avian vet would be the best bet to get that done.

Last edited:
UPDATE: My sick pullet is still alive. About a week ago, she was able to get her legs under her and stand up. I took this to either be a good sign or the beginning of the end. Now, she's back to lying on her belly with her legs sticking straight out from under her. She still appears to be eating and drinking, but she's not cleaning herself. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm thinking it's botulism. I've read that some birds can recover from it. Has anyone had success treating botulism with any kind of medication?

UPDATE: My sick pullet is still alive. About a week ago, she was able to get her legs under her and stand up. I took this to either be a good sign or the beginning of the end. Now, she's back to lying on her belly with her legs sticking straight out from under her. She still appears to be eating and drinking, but she's not cleaning herself. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm thinking it's botulism. I've read that some birds can recover from it. Has anyone had success treating botulism with any kind of medication?
There have been some people on BYC that have had suspected cases of botulism, whose birds have lived. I would think it just takes time for the muscles to recover from the paralysis and lack of use, just as in a person. Maybe a little physical therapy and gradual exercise would help. Hopeully some who have had survivors will chime in. You can go to the top of the page and enter "botulism," and may find some threads with follow-up posts.

From http://www.poultrytechnology.com/feed/1.html :

Fowl Cholera is primarily a disease of the respiratory system, although other organs can be affected. Incubation period varies from 3 to 9 days. Infection range from peracute/acute infections to chronic/carrier stags. In the peracute form, the only clinical expression seen may be dead birds and symptoms may be absent. Signs of the acute form are often present only a few hrs before death and it kills the bird rapidly within 6-12 hours. Sometimes the birds die without showing symptoms or clinical signs. Signs that often occur are fever, anorexia, depression and lethargy, mucous discharges from the mouth, diarrhea, increased respiratory rate and drop in egg production. Cyanosis often occurs immediately before death and swollen eyes and wattles are classical signs of acute form of the disease. Survivors become chronically infected or recover, while others die through emaciation and dehydration. Chronic disease may result following partial recovery or infection of organisms of low virulence. Signs include localised swelling in the joints, foot pad, tendon sheaths, sinuses, eyes, conjunctivae, wattles, throat, pharynx, lungs, air sacs, middle ears, bone marrow, and meninges. Birds that recover may remain carriers. Post mortem lesions include congestion in the internal organs, muscle and skin, and petechial haemorrhages in organs and general hyperemia. Infection involves the respiratory system including lungs, sinuses, nasal passages, ocular tissues, and air sacs including those in the bones. The disease can settle in joints, meninges, and soft tissues like the wattles. Congestion, haemorrhages occur in the lungs, heart, fat and intestines. The liver is swollen and dark red, and may have pinhead white spots on its surface. Chronic carriers may have swollen wattles and faces. In peracute cases, lesions may be entirely absent.

Back
Top Bottom