two geese wont go home

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ladyearth, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    2 showed up in neighbor back yard big lot ways up.about a week ago. He only bush hogs that part and not home very often. I thought they were wild geese. But Hubby said no domticated kind when they started hanging out across the street up the hill. just about 50 ft away or so.
    The GEESE honk and fuss everytime a car goes by.. it was so sad It as like they were waiting for their owners to drive up our street (big hilly and deadend long long street.). we are off a busy state road,
    I thought someone had abandoned or dumped them
    .then today this morning heard some yelling. I stepped out and asked lady in car was it their geese. She said yes. Her husband was trying to round them up . Found out the couple live up our hill quite a way...It seems the Geese would know their "parents"
    Her Hubby gave up and got back in their car and they drove away.up our hilly road
    I tried throwing them some chicken feed , cherry tomatoes etc. But they just walked further away.My chickens seemed scared of the honking Even though I dont think my chickens een saw the Geese > just heard their carrying ons..
    Last few nites the GEESE walked down the hill toward other side of me. The neighbor there moved away. Then next mornings they returned their vigil across street again on the hillside hillside.
    well tonight they stayed put. Everytime a car goes past them tonight the GEESE honk and carry on.... Im sure that.... THAT neighbor wont be a happy camper and may off them....
    since he works and gets up mighty early for his job...
    I wish the owners would leave me their phone number so I can call them....because the geese quite often wander in this busy fast downhill road.... they have wander in my yard several times last few days. But like I said they walk away back across this busy two lane road.
    I am not out front too often during the daytime so I wouldnt see the owners much since everyone just about zooms by. I live toward bottom of this hilly steep road... Plus I have bad vision w out my glasses.....
    I yelled at the Geese "go home" .... they are bound to be hungry.... they are such beautiful birds.....

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'd call animal control - both because they are kind of being a nuisance and they aren't being taken care of. Also, sounds like they are potentially in danger from predators or getting run over. You'd be doing them a favor if the animal cops made the owners take responsibility. Best of luck to you!!

3. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    I live in the county... they couldnt care less about such.. maybe a wild rabid dog...
    The geese arent that bad of a nuisance...
    the owners tried to get them back home ...I imagine they pass them everyday... in their car...
    but they are impossible to catch in these large open areas
    I hope soon they just walk home or fly up the street....

4. RareAvis

RareAvis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    As to being hungry? That you can help with.

In my opinion, that is the humane next and obvious course of action: alleviate their suffering, because you're a human and therefore: can.

If I were in the same situation, I'd leave food wherever it was safe to; I assume water isn't an issue? Heat?

AND I'd try to provide a safe place for them IF they chose to enter it; and basically build trust, establish a rapport, then try to humanely capture and rescue them.

If you do not want to or cannot keep them?

I'm NOT fond of shelters; BUT, it sounds to me that, like me, you live in the country: rural America.

The ASPCA usually has EXCELLENT farm sanctuaries in these areas: the exception to my shelter 'rule'.

I wish I could help, physically.

Please DO update; I'm very concerned and will worry both for you and for the dynamic duo.

Take care; and good luck.

Thank you, by the by, for being a good human.

I'll gladly be a shoulder or sounding board, if I may support you as a stranger/friend.

It takes a village... :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's fairly easy to gain trust of a goose or duck once they are hungry but geese are grazers first and foremost so they may not take to a bowl of feed. But it would be worth a try. I had to do this to capture[rescue] 3 Drakes that had been dumped in our river. I first started taking cracked corn down along the river same spot daily for 5 days. Oh my gosh do water fowl love corn. Well I then set up a dog X pen with one side open after these ducks got use to me coming daily to feed them i set the feed on the ground at the back of the pen so they had to walk all the way inside to eat it. After they were doing that for a couple days I had a dog crate in the car for the rescue. I put the feed in the back of the open pen again and waited a little over to the side once they waddled in i very quickly close up the end that was open went in and picked up each drake and put them into the dog crate and brought them home. I found homes for each one. Geese aren't as trusting as ducks so it may take longer to do this rescue but i think it can be done. You can also buy the plastic fencing at lowes and make a larger area too. and solicit friends to help maybe someone do the herding geese and ducks herd easy once they know their is a reward at the end. But we have to herd them slowly. These geese will be killed by speeders or preds sooner than later. Thank you for caring.
    And if you can't keep them research farm sanctuaries in your area. Geese are awesome birds but they need protection with good fencing so they don't do things like this.
    @ladyearth

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  6. RareAvis

RareAvis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    LOL.

You sound like me.

:)

I, by the by, am waiting for triple AAA. Argghh.

I special ordered stuff from the hardware store and pharmacy to try and help Sadie; no superstore in 'these har parts'.

Wouldn't you know it?

Battery dead.

I get to try to make my own splint for the very first time, after I collect everything.

And we start new vitamins, etc.

I'm AFRAID of aspirin for pain relief. He... by the way, found out last night that Sadie is a he... ;) Here, please have a cigar!.... How a VET could get that wrong, I'll never know.

I might try tho... the aspirin. Argghh.

This is so frightening.

My first chicken ever, and I'm out here in the middle of nowhere with no family and zero friends or support network.

Please wish me luck.

I, of course, wish you luck, as well; and of course the geese.

Please update me, when you have time.

Be well,

~Proud Mama of a gorgeous, sweet, hyper-smart, suffering cockerel

7. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    But they have a home....down the road.....
    If I get time I may drive down there tomorrow and talk to them after I fig out which place it is on this busy deadend LONG road....
    Maybe suggest what yall say to do to get them back home..
    I just dont understand why the geese left their home in the first place

also there is a chicken prob someone dumped across the street too. The guy thinks it a hen but it has the behavior(from what I observed from my ROO ROO) of rooster. Its prob a Freedom ranger or a small R Island red...I gave the chicken some feed in a jar and the neighborhood finally brought out a pan of water. The chicken just showed up under his carport this morning... Earlier in Oct 20th the neighbor next to him called and asked if we were missing a chicken So that poor chicken has been around for nine days now.
    No I dont want any more chickens > I want to find a home for mine even. I never realized they are so hard to tend. with all their health problems... we have no life..I just worry about them Hubby says "what now?" just finished up a 5 day course of syringing almost a dozen chickens with liquid worme
    thanks yall

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If the owners don't want them please check farm sanctuaries around your area. They will most likely take in the chickens too. Also go to your state thread in the "where am I where are you" section and if the owners don't want them back maybe someone close to you in Kentucky will come and get them..

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @ladyearth any updates

10. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    naw they just hang out actoss the street... Hubby herede them up the hill next door yard which is supposedly next to their owners place, to get them out of the street again... but they wandered back down
    I yell at them once in a while "go home honk honks"
    I dont know why THE owners arent trying more. course they could be some.
    since I cant see out front when I am in the back field. I also have bad vision and wouldnt notice.w/o being close up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by