two girls co-parenting one chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akaxo, Dec 23, 2010.

1. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

both of the two girls in the picture below went broody at about the same time so i got them half a dozen fertile eggs and put them under them in separate nesting boxes. all went well until about hatching time when only the one hatched, it appears four of the other eggs weren't fertilized after all and one must have died part way through from what i can tell. so anyway fast forward to now and both girls have taken on the motherly role for the one baby. they both squeeze in the nest with it, hang around it together all the time making clucking noises and showing it all the chickeny things it needs to know. no dramas at all between them but woe betide anyone who comes near them as their combined fury get's let loose!

just struck me as a bit funny so thought i'd mention it [​IMG] i'm curious to know if this is common or not.

[​IMG]

i guess it shows same sex co-parenting of adopted babies can work [​IMG]

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    All my birds pair up for the younguns.. The flock gives way for mammas and babies....I just love the family values chickens have as a rule.

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Awww! Thats soo cute! I feel bad for any rooster who breaks that chicks heart! [​IMG]

4. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    adorable!!!! what a great story.....made my night. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Very sweet. What a great picture [​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

absolutely, totally precious! [​IMG]

7. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I have 2 silkie sisters that both went broody together, hatched together and share all the chicks. It is adorable. [​IMG]

8. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

these two are sisters too. they're being awfully cute with it today out in the sun, first time they've spent so much time outside with it [​IMG]

9. Pene and Frida

Pene and Frida Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    How sweet, great news for me! I have two chickens looking broody and I was really worried about either or attacking the baby chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by