Two girls squatting! READY FOR EGGS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkapotsy, Aug 15, 2016.

1. kkapotsy

kkapotsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    I've been kind of checking, so they could have done it sooner, but probably not much. Two of them squatting for me since about three days ago, and now I can't help but check the box three or four times a day [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I know it varies but what is your experience from when squatting starts til first egg?

2. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Squat!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    With mine, usually 3-4 weeks, but I'm sure that it can vary with each individual. Gonna be a game of patience - one of the worst games i know of [​IMG]

4. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    Haha it's already testing my patience and only three days in! So excited!

5. 4x4Runner

4x4Runner Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2016
    El Cajon, CA
    So when you reach to pet your chicken and they drop to the ground squatting that means they are about to lay? I've noticed one of my chickens start doing that and she has never before. I thought she felt threatened which is weird because she LOVES people. I mean obsessed. Once she gets up shes back to bugging you. I'm new to all this. :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

It means that they are in the pipeline, yes, but how long that pipeline may be is another matter

7. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    I'm new too! Lol my analogy is like a pubescent chicken.... Getting ready to be ready but not quite yet. But yes, everywhere I read says the squat is a sign their hormones are changing gearing up for that first egg! So far nothing for me yet! Been about five days since I first noticed the squat :/

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Mine started to squat about two weeks before laying. I know, I didn't make your day, sorry. GC

9. 4x4Runner

4x4Runner Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2016
    El Cajon, CA
    My chicken I was talking about laid an egg yesterday. She was the last one to start! I had no idea that is what it meant. Thanks for the info!

10. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    Haha that's okay id rather expect it two weeks away and it happen tomorrow than expect it tomorrow and it happen two weeks from now. Nothing yet, though I go out and give them a pep talk every few hours [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by