two goats for sale

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickachickawhat, Apr 8, 2008.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    i found a odder for two alpine does for sale. for 75 dollars each should i consider buying them. and if so should i buy 1 or 2. they are 12 months old. does anyone have alpine goats, how are they?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Heck - if they're in good general health...that's a deal.

I hear Alpines are great milkers and I personally think they're beautiful animals.

And, you should buy both so they're not lonely.

3. tlstueckler

tlstueckler New Egg

Apr 8, 2008
    I would recommend the Alpines as a good milking goat, however, being in the goat business myself I highly recommend that you look at the medical records of the herd. There are at least 2 diseases that goats are prone to and will cause you more heartache that you would care to deal with. The herd they came from should test negative for CAE (caprine arthritis encephalitis) and CL (caseous lymphadenitis). Both are very serious and while they will not cause problems in humans will shorten the life span and enjoyable life of a goat. You can have them tested for this. It is a simple blood test that can be sent by you to WADDL, is not very expensive and will put your mind at ease. Alpines give good tasting milk and are rather friendly. Good luck!

Tara

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I love alpines and toggenburgs and I want a few when I get older. They are great milkers but I agree check there health and if they are good you have yourself a great deal.

Henry

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I don't have alpines, I have fainters but, I can suggest unless you already have a few goats........get both of them. Goats do a lot better if they have a "buddy".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by