Two gone!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lescostes, May 14, 2009.

1. lescostes

lescostes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    Today we came home (were gone from noon - 3pm) and our hen Fanny was standing by the front door, looking a bit shell-shocked. Where was Rhoda, my other hen, who is always by here side. And my roo? Went up to the coop and they were gone, no feathers, nothing, they are just gone! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I know I shouldn't cry, but I loved my birds and am very sad to think that something got them. Not sure - a fox? They are in the forest, trees - not in the open, so not sure about a bird. We just saw a feral cat 2 days ago, but not sure if a feral cat would take the birds, they are big. No feathers...nothing...they are just gone. My other hen (the only one left) seems very freaked out. Sad day.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Since you say there are no feathers around, could it be possible that they just walked off somewhere? [​IMG]

3. lescostes

Dec 7, 2008
    are you serious or joking! Not funny. my roo is handicaped, when I got him (a farmer gave him to us) his leg was disfigured and he limps, doesn't move fast, can't scratch, so he's not just going to hobble away. And Rhoda no way. She is down by our door every day at 6pm waiting for her treats. Cant' really think they just decided to pack their bags and leave!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm serious. I'm not trying to be funny. I had my Japanese bantam go for a walk, and found her the next morning.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I didn't mean to get you mad. I hope you find your babies. I know how I'd feel, I just love all my girls.

6. lescostes

Dec 7, 2008
    well...i hope you are right. not sure that both would go together, since Lefty is disabled...but my fingers are crossed that you are right and that they come home tomorrow. i'm very sad.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Of course you're sad, you love those babies! I'm hoping for a good outcome for you and them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry. It is not silly to cry at all. I love all mine just that much too.

A fox or coyote would carry them off with no feather trail. But two of them? I dunno. It is possible something attacked and one of the missing two is hiding. If so, it will come back.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  9. lescostes

Dec 7, 2008
    thanks for the kind words. i know that i should not get so attached, but i loved them, they are so amazing and cool and eat from my hand, etc... i hope that you are right about 2 being unusual to loose in a 3 hour period. I also find it so amazing that a fox could take it without any feathers being left, you'd think there would be a fight or something. I hope that if Lefty was taken (he's the most likely since he can't move fast) that Rhoda is somewhere in hiding and will return.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Keep your eyes out for Rhonda, like was stated, she may be in hiding. I've come to find out that our chickens are much smarter than we realize. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by