Two goslings died this morning!! Help!

griddles

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Northern Wisconsin
I had five two week old goslings in with some ducklings, and chicks, today we found two dead in the corner? Why would this have happened? They were all doing fine. Do I need to worry about more dying? We have two baby rabbits that are hanging out in there for the time being until we build them a cage- could they have made them sick? I am so worried!

What are they all being fed? If you are feeding medicated chick feed it could be an overdose. Waterfowl eat so much more than chickens and the dosing in the feed is not intended for their consumption. I know of a lot of people who mix waterfowl, chickens and other species but I never recommend it because of the many problems that can occur from fighting, disease, and different dietary requirements. Rabbits should never be kept with young poultry because they have sharp teeth and powerful kicks which young poulty are defensless against. I am sorry for your loss and I hope the others make out alright.

I thought about that because usually they write on the bag "non-med chick starter" and that wasnt on this bag, I went immediatley and got a new bag but what about the others? Is their any hope that they will survive? They are acting fine so far. Also, the bunnies are only about 4 weeks old and are much much smaller than the banty chicks even. Does that matter?

EEEK!

Four week old rabbits away from their mother, and on the ground? They shouldn't be taken away til they're six weeks old, and deffinately not on the ground this young. Domesticated rabbits are prone to diseases they can pick up from the ground at that young age. So if you can, go buy a wire cage and keep them off the ground til you get an actual hutch.
smile.png

I would separate the rabbits, chicks and waterfowl ASAP. Ducks and Geese can stay together aslong as they don't bully eachother too much but the others need to be separated. The other goslings mught still be OK just make sure you feed them non medicated gamebird/waterfowl starter and offer them lots of clean cool water. You may want to call the vet and see what can be used to detox the goslings. I hope everything works out! Please give us updates.

Back
Top Bottom