Two Guinea hens both suddenly unable to keep balance, flopping over, barely able to stand and actual

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by froginabog, Aug 31, 2014.

1. froginabog

froginabog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Middle Georgia
    I might be able to catch a video to upload in a minute, but as of right now, I am dealing with two guinea hens that can barely walk and are very unsteady on their feet. They don't simply lay down, they actually are flopping over when their lack of balance gets the better of them. They lie there with their wings partially stretched at times. They also appear to be disoriented, but I can't tell if it is because they are in pain or if this is something neurological. There does not seem to be an injury on either one. They both arent making a peep either, and as I'm sure you all are aware, is definitely strange for guineas. My lavender is worse off than my pearl, but it is incredibly strange that both were fine earlier today and now, this evening, they are both going rapidly down hill at virtually the same time. My chickens all appear to be just fine. Nothing has been unusual in their routine. They are put in a coop at night, free-range during the day, they are both over a year old (closer to 2) and are provided with chick starter crumbles (due to the fact that we hatched chicks a month or two ago) and water. Their water was actually low, but we provided fresh, cool water right in front of them since we were concerned that due to their inability to get around, they couldn't hydrate themselves (one was actually panting, so we thought this could have been just severe dehydration) and they barely drank. They did drink some, though, and they did eat just a little bit (not ravenously or anything). The pearl, with less severe symptoms at the moment did have a bowel movement and it was all one color, dark brown,and fairly runny...it looked like a very melted hersheys. I really hope someone has any ideas...I'm afraid they may not make it another 24 hours. :'(

I may see if I can get a video. Please feel free to ask questions! Really hoping we get this figured out! Thanks in advance!!!

2. froginabog

Jun 28, 2014
    Middle Georgia
    Ok, well unless someone actually knows how, I don't think I can add a video. But, I did get one that I believe will give a better idea to anyone who would like to see it. I can try to email it or something...I've never done youtube, but I'm even willing to do that since these are our only two guineas, and we love them!
    Also, I got them when they were keets, at a local feed store, so I'm willing to bet they had their Mereck's vacc, but can't be certain bc the feed store may have gotten them locally themselves. I don't even know if that could matter. Thanks again.

3. C-Chicken

C-Chicken New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    Hello, this is my 1st post, I thought what happened to my silkie "Cloud" could help. 5 days ago she was stung on the bottom of her foot by a Yellow Jacket. Within a few hours she could not walk, falls over and can hardly gets back up without an struggle and seems to have limited coordination. She cannot get in and out of the coop without my help. I can't say this what happened to your girls but it is a possibility . I am still searching for help also, I will keep you posted.

4. Hemm

Hemm New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    Sounds like they may have heat stroke

5. froginabog

Jun 28, 2014
    Middle Georgia
    C-Chicken-- thank you so much! While I think the odds would be slim that they both stepped on a yellow jacket around the same time, it is possible since they tend to venture into other areas the chickens do not. I also thought so sort of poisoning, since they go to other areas on their own. I know birds generally don't eat something that could hurt them, but who knows. ThanKS for your response!

Hemm-I did think that was possible, but we live in middle Georgia and although it has been hot, if they made it this far with the heat (and now we seem to be in a drought), I'm not sure why that would occur now. Plus, Guineas originate in Africa, so I believe they would already be somewhat "equipped" to deal with the heat. I could be completely off base, so, let me know if there could be something you see I might not have considered, and thanks for taking the time to respond!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by