Two hatched but are rolling around the other three. Normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NCchicken, Jan 21, 2011.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Please bare with me this is my second hatch. My first was a bust. I have five total in my bator. Two hatched early this am and are walking around causing the other three eggs to roll around. Is this Ok? Is this normal? Today is day 21 and the three left have yet to pip. Advice, thoughts, comments? Thanks-from a worried first timer. [​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have heard this is normal. Good luck.

3. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Really? Phew. I hope it's normal. I just thought that the chicks inside the egg has to be in a certain posituion before it pips and the poor thing keeps getting rolled around.

4. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    You should be fine... My first hatchers played soccer with their brothers and sisters too. It shouldn't cause a problem for the ones that are yet to pop out [​IMG]

5. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    It's normal. My first hatchers played soccer too!

I think it might help encourage hatching, kind a like "come out and play". [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I firmly believe the active chicks do encourage the ones not yet hatched to keep going.

7. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I do know that once my first Quail popped out, the other eggs were peeping louder, so I guess they do encourage each other. [​IMG]

I came running into the room on the second hatch upon hearing cheeping, when I arrived at the 'Bator, All I saw was pips and rolling eggs. [​IMG] or [​IMG] Within hours I had 6 chicken Chicks all hopping about in the 'Bator..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by