Two hatched this morning.......how long before the rest hatch????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnmayersquare, Dec 1, 2008.

1. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I had two babies hatch this morning within an hour of eachother and then nothing else all day............is that normal????

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Can be. How many eggs are left?

3. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm not sure how many eggs you set, but I've hatched two batches of eggs so far. The first batch took 2 days to fully hatch. The second batch took about the same. But from what I've read, it can really vary. Do you hear any scraping, tapping or chirping? Or do you see the other eggs twitching at all?

4. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:It is really hard to tell with the other two jumping all over the place, hahahahahaha........and I also had asked a couple people before, but they are hitting the heating element......they are VERY clumsy and stretchy! I'm wondering if I should take them out???

5. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think people will advise you against opening up the incubator, particularly if any of the other eggs are pipped, because it will zap your humidity. But... I'd be tempted to quick get them out and into the brooder. I had one of my poor little guys hit his eye on the heating element. Thought he'd blinded himself, but after a few days he finally started opening it, and now seems unaffected. Still scared the living daylights out of me though.

6. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I don't see any other pips yet.........I don't know what to do.......yikes..........I have an LG 9200(which is a very common brand apparently) and they are stepping on the sponges and also the other eggs and getting up and practically roosting on the heating element! They have hit it a BUNCH of times.......both of them.......I have another 7 still in there..........what do you think?

7. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    My personal opinion..get em out..Make sure your brooder area is ready and warm enough..and if you have a spray bottle, mist the incubator (where there are no eggs) to help up the humidity, or add warm water to your sponges to help up the humidity so you dont lose what you have going on.

8. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I would grab them out quickly, if you see no other pips. If you have a spray bottle you could spray some hot water in the bator when you go to close it to bring humidity back up quickly. I have done this before though I know you really shouldn't open the bator. If they are hitting the heating element I would definatly take them out. Also the sponges should be under the grate not on top so they can't get on them.

9. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    great minds think alike [​IMG]

10. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Is what I was thinking. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by