two hens {bantams} sitting on one nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by glasstream89, Sep 12, 2012.

1. glasstream89

glasstream89 New Egg

Jan 14, 2011
    jacksonville, nc
    i have two bantam hens, i dont know the specific breed as we got them from TSC and all it said was "mixed bantams", and they are both sitting on a nest together..... normal, abnormal?
    anyways, they hatched out about two days ago and i see why it took two of them, there are 18 live chicks.... wow.
    when we got them out of there today there were about 3 dead in the nest, looks like two got their eggs broken early and the other may have gotten trampled with so many in there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    The one in the back looks to be a bantam Brahma. Don't know about the other. But it's called co-mothering and it's done frequently. 18!!! That's a lot of chicks to be just the live ones! Congrats, they're adorable and I wish I had a broody!

3. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes, I've seen 2 hens on one nest before. I think it's cool how they sometimes work together like that. 18 live chicks is an amazing hatch for broodies, my last broody only hatched out 6. Anyways, congradulations on the little ones!

4. WillowChick

WillowChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! amazing!

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Oh wow [​IMG] when u said 18 i freaked out!!! AMAZING!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by