two hens broody on NOTHING. in the same box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tanichca, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    So i have two hens who will not leave the box. The two hens are bantam silkies, in the same box (which is about 1 sq foot) and there is nothing in there! I have been removing eggs whenever i see them, and still they sit there in a black lump and peck at me when i go near. Throw them out of the box, they go into the broody stance and hop back in after a few seconds. How do i break them?

2. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    I left mine alone, 9 chicks hatched on Easter with 5 eggs left in nest,both hens( OEGB) sitting on everything! So I moved All to the corner on floor. One hen has the chicks the other still sitting tight,and yes they trade off. Yours will probably stay a black lump for a day or two or until they stop laying! [​IMG]

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:well they arent laying, but their sisters are. being silkies, is this just something that goes with the territory?

4. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Think it is banty thing [​IMG] mine have always had communial nests.One poor hen tried to sit on 20 eggs. [​IMG]

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    How long have they been acting like this?
    I would think to break them, take them out of the nest and don't let them back in. (guess, never one it myself)

6. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I hear silkies go broody a lot! I finally broke one broody yesterday. She was sitting on imaginary eggs [​IMG] Pick her up, put her on the ground... then settle right down on the ground!! Then I walk over and she goes into scary gremlin mode and screeches and runs back into the nest. I tried a few things. I chucked her out of the nest over and over and over, I gave her a couple dips in some cool water... etc. Anyway yesterday it poured all day and DH was cleaning the coop. She didn't want go near him while he was cleaning so she hid with the others under a boat we're working on. So that must have cooled her down.

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:theyve been broody for about two months. [​IMG]

8. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Definitely try to break them. Going broody is detrimental to their health. They eat less, don't get exercise... Try to break them so they can work for their keep and start to function normally again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by