Two hens hatched chicks today can I put them together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by awramblingrose, Sep 22, 2012.

1. awramblingrose

awramblingrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time I've had a broody hatch chicks. I knew a NR was broody and seperated her weeks ago, but my BR I thought had been killed by the neighbor's dogs. I was wrong. I heard chirping and found her between bales of hay in the loft. My problem is I only have one cage that is occupied by the NR. In a few days can I put both hens and sets of chicks in the same cage? It is an old dog cage big enough for a large lab. Please help

2. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    im really not sure all i know is the mom will fight

3. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I would try it...but watch closely!! I put my two broody's together with their chicks and they are doing fine. I do let my girls free range, so although they sleep together at night, during the day they are able to get out and separate from each other. The funny thing is that they don't separate. I find them together all the time. The chicks run from one mama to the other and no one seems to mind. One mama is a little bossier than the other and she pecked at the other mama some, but the 2nd one held her own and is doing fine now with her babies too. I think the bossy one was trying to keep her chicks too...

Here's a link to my post about it:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/707624/broody-hens-raising-chicks-together#post_9628920

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why not keep them with the flock? That sounds like barely enough room for one broody and babies, let alone two. I've had new mommas be quite aggressive to other hen's chicks and in that close of quarters probably would have had a dead chick.

5. awramblingrose

awramblingrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I ending up letting them free range during the day and put them in the cage at night. Everything is going great and heybarb they are doing the same exact thing yours are. They barely get a foot apart and chicks go back and forth bw the two. The NH Red is the boss, but they are getting along great. Thanks again!

6. heybarb

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I am so excited that it's working out for you and your girls!! Congratulations!!

7. heybarb

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Here is a picture of my mamas free ranging with their babies. The chicks don't seem to favor one mom over the other...

[​IMG]

8. alaskapalo

alaskapalo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    SOOO CUTE!!! I want one of mine to go broody! [​IMG] Too bad I can't force them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by