Two hens, Naked...and its not from Moult

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicketychicken, Oct 20, 2009.

1. chicketychicken

chicketychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Connecticut
    I recently acquired two hens that i am quite sure were not well taken care of. They have alot of bare spots and look more like a chicken dinner than a pet chicken...and the feather loss does not look like a result of moulting ~as the pin feathers are not showing.
    They were kept in a barn with about 40-60 other hens and roosters, probably not fed all that well, and I believe there shelter was somewhat open to the elements.
    Its cold here in CT already. I believe the feather loss is a result of stress or poor conditions.
    These hens look pathetic from the neck down. Other than providing them a good high protein diet and substantial shelter is there anythign else I can do to help these girls grow their feathers back?
    I have a feeling if i could get them to grow their feathers they would be beautiful.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Have you checked them over for mites and the like? Wonder if worms might be an issue.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have a hen that was bare backed and on her sides as well as her neck, however that was from her being the Roos favorite...however, I have to say, I put a chicken saddle on her and her feathers are growing in nice now...maybe that could be an option

4. chicketychicken

Jun 2, 2009
    Connecticut
    you know i have not checked for mites. they are a little hand shy and I am trying slowly to break them into the idea of being pets rather than just chickens in a barn. I have watched them and not seen alot of picking at themselves or each. I assume that mites would make them itchy and irritated. The skin does look somewhat irritated in spots, but overall the skin looks ok.
    Would the mites be something I could see? If not, exactly what should I look for?
    I actually did look up the chicken saddles online, because if that's what it takes that's what I will do.
    I guess my main question is...will these girls grow their feathers back if the loss is a result of stress and poor diet...or a roo?

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Their feathers should grow back. Sometimes the damage from pecking is so bad the feathers do not grow back, but usually they do.

For the mites:
    At night, when they are asleep on their roost, go out with a flashlight and look at their vent areas. You should see tiny black or red mites or tan lice which are a bit bigger if your chickens are infested. YOu can also see eggs on the base of the feather shafts.

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I would think so.

Do a google search for fowl mites. There are some good pictures online.

Try to get a hand on them this evening when they go to roost.

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    The best way to take care of mites is to dip them. Add a couple squirts of dish soap to the dip so it thoroughly soaks through all the feathers.

8. chicketychicken

Jun 2, 2009
    Connecticut
    ok~ so i guess i'm going mite hunting. This should be fun!

9. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Quote:Dip? Do you mean the kind you use on cats and dogs for fleas?

10. chicketychicken

Jun 2, 2009
    Connecticut
    lol, no i think she meant using dish soap. I think a cat or dog dip would be bad for a chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by