Two Hens pecking on the New Hen

brittany6515

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2016
Yesterday we got a new Hen, about 3 months old. Two of my other 3 month old hens have been chasing her and pecking on the back of her neck enough to where she runs in the corner.. My Rooster just sits there and watches. But last night when i went to shut the coop up all of my chickens were curled up together sleeping. But today they are back at it! Please help!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. redsox has given you a great link - there are other ways to integrate newbies into a flock, but this seems to be a tried and tested one.

Hope all goes well
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Make sure she has plenty of room to get .. out of the way. Not sure if they are pecking hard. They will naturally do the pecking order. I have a very young cockerel outside right now. They all have chased him around. It's been a week, and he now just stays out of the way, unless I'm giving treats..then, he comes running, and even takes food out of the mouths that have some. Doesn't have to run away so much anymore. They .. usually..work it out in time.

She pretty much stays out of the way now. The Rooster just watches and looks around so im thinking its not that bad. Hes good about getting the hens to bed at night and calling for them for goodies in the yard.

Welcome to Backyard chickens brittany6515 !! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! You have gotten good advice and links for your little hen! Good luck with her!

Make sure to put out an extra water & food bowl or two around the area. So the bullies cannot prevent her from eating & drinking.

Back
Top Bottom