Two hens Pro-laps Vent Close period of time, Any Input would be great.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smedly9921, Nov 16, 2012.

1. smedly9921

smedly9921 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    North East Ohio
    OK so over the last week or so two of my white leg horn hens, some of my older ones about a year and a half or so, prolapsed there vents. Both were culled because in both cases they were not little pro-laps i mean they were really prolapsed. Both were found because of the large amount of blood loss. I am just seeing if anyone has input on why two of my leg horns would pro-laps so close to one another. I have noticed nothing out of the ordinary with any of my chickens. My leg horns have been laying nice large white eggs One a day every day with a break every so often. They are a healthy weight and size. There color is great, they are active they get plenty of food, clean water and free range time. I am really just concerned. don't want to lose any more. My daughter keeps asking me why do the chickens butts keep breaking. The only other thing i can think to mention is some time ago one of the leg horns from the same clutch died of an impacted egg. Is this a common occurrence with leg horns. Thanks in advanced for any in put.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by