Two hens sharing chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xmissjadie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    I adopted two silkies that came from the same home, named Bebe and Bobbi. Bobbi went broody so I gave her some chicks to raise. As soon and the chicks were big enough to go with the rest of my flock I put Bobbi and them back in the community pen. Bebe has started calling them over for food and flaring up her wings when others come near just as Bobbi does. I've also noticed half of the chicks now go under Bebe at night and half under Bobbi. They are sharing the babies. Is this normal? Bobbi and Bebe were very close before Bobbi went broody and I separated Bobbi from the flock so she could brood her chicks, so it makes sense they would share the chicks. I've just never heard of this happening before! [​IMG] Tell me my girls aren't crazy! [​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Normal...no. But it sounds Great. They might not always do this, so I would say enjoy it as long as they will do this with susses. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have two hens who brooded together and hatched four chicks. One was weak and died, but the other three are thriving with two mommies. The hens nest together, the chicks cuddle up under them both. One of the hens is molting so she doesn't have quite the nicest fluffies for the chicks to snuggle under her, but she is the one that is showing them what to do, more than the other hen. Who knows who hatched which chick(s) but it's a two momma brood.
    [​IMG]

4. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:Haha thanks, I deffinitly do enjoy watching them!

5. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:Oh that's sounds great! Mine aren't the only ones! [​IMG]

6. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    My two silkie girls are best friends and went broody 10 days apart. I'd set up my little dog house coop up for an alternative home for them and put in a 40 watt light to take the chill off the 27 degree night temps. First girl hatched her four and happily moved her family in there. A bit over a week later, the other girls four eggs hatched and she moved hers in with friend. They all sleep in a pile with chicks under and on either mom. They feed all the chicks together and the chicks will run under whichever is closest if the other chickens scare them.

7. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    My Cochin hens do it quite a bit - they kind of go broody the same time - hatch the same time and kind of co mother - its nice!

8. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    It is nice the chicks get twice the protection and twice the love!

9. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I've had that happen before. I've got 2 muscovy ducks that are co-mothering right now too.

10. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I have two Blue Orpington hens that are best friends. One went broody and was given two chicks, her sister was equally protective and attentive of them when they were out with the flock, they are still really close with the two chicks, they always forage and roost together as a foursome. What is even better is that I recently got some Welsummer chicks and I integrated them into my flock when they were about six weeks old, after two weeks of sharing coop space in a safe enclosure. The rest of my flock are 6 month old pullets and roosters, they were sort of mean to the chicks, but the hens took on a big sister role to them, never mean, allowing them to share their space and even chasing away some of the meaner pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by