Two Hens suddenly dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sierrapoultry13, Mar 9, 2016.

1. sierrapoultry13

sierrapoultry13 New Egg

Mar 8, 2016
    So i would like anyone's opinion on what this could be or a possible cause. Please through all suggestions at this thread.
    About three weeks ago one of my Lavender Orpingtons suddenly died. Two days before when I was in the coop and picked her up she started to throw up a little water. That was all that was abnormal and she seemed fine. Two days later I came out and she way dead. No growths on her body, no sores, nothing abnormal that I could tell.
    Well to make matters worse I came out today (three weeks after my Orpington tragedy) and my Maran hen was dead. She showed no signs of sickness and was laying an egg a day. I check on my flock everyday so i would have noticed something abnormal.
    SO the things I think played a factor:
    - We switched to pellet feed three months ago. This resulted in less waste and slower consumption.
    - I am unsure of the calcium amount in the pellet feed. I am wondering if it is a calcium deficiency but my girls showed no signs of weakness and the eggs were coming out strong (I just hatched from them and chicks are thriving).
    -I have tree coops. As of right now I have one rooster to three or two hens per coop (I understand this to low a ratio for my hens but I am reestablishing the flock)
    -These chickens have not been vaccinated for anything

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you so much.

2. horseshoe13

horseshoe13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    So sorry for your loss.

3. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    It honestly could be array of things. If it's possibly get an autopsy. That would be your best bet to know what it is. I'm sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by