Two hens that won't lay, one that will...

AussieChook

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Hi - We've got three lovely girls: a Wyandotte, a Polish and a Silkie (all bantams, just over 6 months old). The Wyandotte, Leslie, bless her, has been laying diligently for a month now, albeit with a patch of broodiness here and there. The other two haven't laid at all. They're not too smart, either of them, but we thought they'd soon do whatever Leslie does because she's top chook. Nup. Nothing.

Does anyone know how to encourage chooks to lay? They're definitely old enough, and they're certainly all happy and well-fed enough. And they have been making lots of noise, which is what Leslie has been doing when she lays, but all noise and no eggs. Have looked to see if they've been laying in secret places on the sly, but can't find a thing. I work from home, so I've been able to keep a close eye on them.

Any ideas, anyone?

Just be patient... I know this is the hardest part. They will lay as soon as they are ready- some are just late bloomers.

I know that is not what you wanted to hear- I think we have all gone through this very frustrating time, but it will be totally worth it when the time comes. Hang in there!

Hey,

Thanks. You're right, I was hoping to hear that I could actually DO something to fast-track us to the other two laying, but you're also probably right about the patience thing.

Really appreciate your taking the time to respond

Cheers

Hi....yes,this seems to be a patience thing!! we had 3-we had one start laying first...lots and lots of "noise" from the others-then about a month after,the other one,and then 2 weeks after that...our otherone started...so it's basically when they are ready!!...as long as they are running around,eating and drinking...you'll get eggs eventually!! good luck
smile.png

Thanks again for your responses.

We will try be more zen about it. I feel like there should be a support group for this anxious waiting stage...

Back
Top Bottom