Two hens TOGHETHER?

TheChicken4U

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Ok so I have 2 mums, a silke x and a BO. Both theirs chicks are due to hatch in the same day, is it ok to have them out with their babies TOGHETHER? It's the first time I've had two mums on the go, the silke is sitting on 7 eggs and the buff on 4 (I'm unsure how many are fertile) is it ok for when the cchicks hatch for them all to be TOGHETHER? Or will they fight over the babies? Thanks!

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
8 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
I tried to put two broody hens in the same brooder with their chicks, and my advice to you would be DO NOT DO IT!!! Both of my hens got up off their chicks and started fighting like crazy! One of the un-hatched eggs got stepped on and it killed the chick inside. We had to immediately separate them because the chicks were getting stepped on and the moms would have killed them all and seriously injured themselves and each other.

You are best to make them each their own brooder. I know that can be a hassle, but it will save the lives of your chicks and it will help keep the momma's happy and safe.

Best of luck to you and enjoy watching your hens mother their chicks! It's a very fun experience
big_smile.png

Last edited:

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
Agreed. Unless they've chosen to share a nest while they're sitting on the eggs I would avoid them coming into contact with each other as much as possible. Some broodies can coexist beautifully. Others will kill another hens chicks just because it took a wrong turn and wandered too close :/

TheChicken4U

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Thanks, but they both have there own brooders. i was just wondering if when they hatch could they go around the garden together? or no?

jak2002003

Crowing
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
If they are free range, there should not be a problem

I once had 2 hens hatch out their chicks just days apart, and a 3 rd hen hatched out hers about a week later.

They all got on fine free ranging, and even in their run (which is very big).

They all walked around together - it was lovely to see. Also the hens would all rest together and the chicks would mix up and go under any mon that they liked. I also have other hens, and roosters, and they did not harm the chicks. In fact the top rooster loves little chicks and will 'mother' them like a hen.

I only had one problem with one chick - it was the only black one, and one mum hen hated it and kept chasing it away, but it survived and is not a big fat hen!

I would not like to house them together if they were only in a brooder, because they would have no room to get away from each other if they started fighting.

Top Bottom