Two hens were fighting over a hatching egg this morning! Is the baby okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buxton Ducks, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I have had two hens diligently sitting on a couple duck eggs. This morning they were fighting over one that had pipped the night before. He was almost out of the egg and I decided to remove him and put him in the brooder. A couple minutes later he pushed himself through. Since he hatched about 5 hours ago, he hasn't opened his eyes or tried to walk yet. If I talk to him, he starts peeping and wiggling but that is it. Is this normal? I am afraid they did some damage by fighting over the hatching egg.

[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    So sorry, I dont know what youve done so far, did you put heat lamp on? I have a bad feeling you lost her. I would seperate whoever is not sitting on the eggs, they may end up eating them :(

3. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Id keep it warm and hope it will drink DILUTED electrolytes, probably weak from blood loss, they shouldnt bleed when hatching, the veins didnt close iff soon enough before he hopped out i am thinking??

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor baby. Sending up prayers...so sad.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Thats quite a bit of blood loss for a hatchling and it will most likely not survive. Next time this happens, hold pressure to the broken umbilical cord until you can apply styptic powder or corn starch to it.

6. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Thank you everybody, he is up and walking around peeping this morning!!!!!! I set my alarm for every hour last night so I could get up and give him sugar-water with an eye dropper. He got stronger every hour and when I left for work he was screaming at me and running back and forth like a normal duckling! His sibling is due to hatch today so I will be pulling him away as soon as he pips the egg. I am very hopeful now and will post pictures when I get home. I know he isn't out of the water yet, but I am more hopeful this morning than I was yesterday.

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    what a miracle!!! I am so happy for you ! I am glad that you were right on being a Doctor !! Congrats!

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I separate my broodies just before the hatch is due to start so I don't have fighting. I have had hens sit on eggs, taking turns, but both in the same box. I separate them to different broody coops when it it a day or so before hatching so neither is fighting.

9. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Went to the feed store on my way home and bought some electrolites/vitamins for sick chicks. I got home to find a bright-eyed duckling peeping at me!

[​IMG]

10. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hallelujah!!! GO ducky GO!!! :: waves poms :: [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by