1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two hens with water coming out of beaks and diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoaringBrook, Mar 17, 2013.

1. RoaringBrook

RoaringBrook Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    On Thursday one of my Silver Laced Wyandottes, age 2, usually healthy, was moving slowly, had a larger crop than usual and water coming out of her beak. She also had diarrhea. I would describe it as throwing up water, not a lot and not all the time, but still odd head movement followed by the water. I tried to rub her crop, and hold her upside down. Now, crop is smaller, and she has no odd neck movements or water from her beak, eating/drinking - but is less active/staying close to the coup versus out in the yard, and still has diarrhea.

This am - my Plymouth Rock, age 4, is now also expelling water from her beak, and showing signs of diarrhea. Still active and out in the yard with the others.

What can I do to help get rid of the diarrhea? Should I be concerned about the water coming out of their beaks? Is this a symptom of something else? Do I need to separate them from the others?

I have 10 total hens - all seem healthy, hungry and very active, and we get about 5 eggs a day. They are in a coup with pine shavings. The hens are usually out in the yard (versus in a pen) - unless it is snowing/too cold. The coop is heated if cold at night. They are on egg layer feed.

2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

I dug out some of my paperwork from my desk drawer and consulted my chicken bible as I call it. Any time birds got sick on me in the past I kept a journal of illnesses and fixes as to what I did do to cure the symptoms.
    Diarrhea is most of the time a sign of fecal eating and possible dirty water dish. If there seems to be raspiness in the breathing or a rattle sound along with greenish diarrhea then there may be an issue. Could be respiratory issues. Since there are quite a few issues with diarrhea among the different diseases of respiratory issues I add electrolytes to their water. Hmmm, can I spell pepirozene...maybe....I also add this to their water. Something like this is worth seperating the bird from the flock for a week or so. It is a possibility it can spread to the rest of the flock. These 2 meds are good for the whole flock, not just the sick ones.
    Do not be too concerned unless the weight gain is rapid and the belly feels like a waterbottle. This is only my opinion as I am not a vet. I just have a lot of practice with sick birds and rescuing birds whos owners don't want them anymore due to illnesses.
    Steve(BunkyB)

3. RoaringBrook

RoaringBrook Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks for your help. I have a bottle of Wazine, and it's active ingredient is Piperazine. I have used this once in the past as a wormer. Is this the same as the drug you mentioned - or different? Sorry for all the questions! Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by