1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two hour delays and child care

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Who else has this issue?

What do you do? [​IMG] This is a huge issue for us. Getting child care for that short time frame is a mess. It is to short for some people, not enough lead time for others and too long for me to stay home and be that late for work. I need to make arrangements with other moms at the kids school, but then there is the getting on the bus issue. We simply do not live that close to anyone.

I can't afford to be that late, DH can't take off any more time, and the in-laws (our usual sitters) are either working tomorrow too or (grandpa) too old to get around in this snow...... [​IMG]

One hour I can manage - two hours - a nightmare!

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    How old are your kids? If hubby and I both have to work, ours stay here till bus time. The neighbors are always home and I can come home if there is a problem, but being late isn't an option for me. There is one of our office staff that always takes the two hour delay when we have them and her grandkids (she raises them) are 13! IMHO, they are old enough to stay home for an hour (I work at 7, she doesn't come in till 8) until the bus comes. But, it is her time to waste, so more power to her.

3. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Since I stay home, they get dropped off at my place. [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If you can wait until June... [​IMG] How far away are you from State College?

Is there a family friend that would be willing to pick up the kiddos from school and keep them for a bit?

5. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Hey, if you're in or around State College, give my sister a call. She's only working part time right now. [​IMG] Oh heck. I still know quite a few Central PA folks. I'll see if I can hook you up.

Seriously, what you need to do is find drop-in child care or make friends with some SAHMs. Some countries have childcare provider listings on the county websites. Centre did and Clearfield did, too. But I haven't searched for that stuff in a number of years now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I got a local mom who is able to go in late to keep them.

We're not central PA. I used to use local college kids for stuff like this but we moved! All of the people within walking distance are old. I mean really old - 87 and up! I can't ask one of them to watch them or to walk them to the bus.

My kids are 8 and 10. I think in an emergency they could manage this, but they are freaking out about it. They will come home alone today and DH will get home within about an hour. They're OK with that. Go figure what makes kids scared??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by