Two hours til lockdown....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SirTerris, Oct 1, 2016.

1. SirTerris

SirTerris Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Very excited, even though there's likely only one baby hatching this time, I can't wait to meet the little guy/girl.

These eggs are from one of the hens, and the rooster that I hatched about this time last year, dad is a light sussex, mum is an arauacana girl, so little easter egger baby (or babies if the second egg that MIGHT be fertile) hatches...

Getting everything ready for a final candling, and setting up for the next few weeks.

Heat lamp is tested, no-slip surfaces are cut, chick starter feed has been purchased, and the dire moodle has been warned not to go near the incubator....

Going to stop flailing like a nervous parent now :p

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    LOL, yeah, it is kinda exciting! Happy Hatching!

3. SirTerris

Dec 8, 2015
    only one egg was viable when I candled at lockdown, it is now the end of day 21 and no pip....i'm getting concerned

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    21 days is only a guide - it can take longer. Temp and humidity settings (and how accurate the respective measurement instruments are) can also delay hatching a little.

5. SirTerris

Dec 8, 2015
    I couldn't resist candling, and the egg is dark except for the air cell, no veins anymore, but (from what I could see, and this egg is hard to see into) no internal pip, not sure on movement, but no peeping....I'm hoping the egg isn't dead...and if it isn't that it doesn't take much longer to hatch, i have 14 more eggs waiting to go in the incubator :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by