Two issues with my girls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rrbriss, May 26, 2012.

1. rrbriss

rrbriss In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Guildhall, VT
    first, one of my girls crown and waddle is pink vs red like all the others, she seems to have lost some weight and is smaller then the others, not as active and tends to stay off by herself. poop is good, eating and drinking. But does not seem right, any ideas?

Second issue, Our girls had poulty lice last January which we promptly treated. Unfortunately they all lost feathers on their bums. We figured once they molted the feathers would come back but the do not seem to be coming back in.
    Could there be something else going on, I have checked them thoroughly yet do not see anything. Thoughts?

see photos[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Songster

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Could the other chickens be pecking at your hen(s) rear end? I'm not really sure why your one hen has such a light comb.

3. Buckhunter76

Buckhunter76 Songster

Apr 27, 2012
    Brown County Ohio
    Looks like she's molting

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The pale comb can be an indicator of poor health. Internal parasites, liver/kidney damage, internal laying, heavy metal poisoning are a few things I'm thinking of. While molting can cause a pale comb, when I see one as pale as your hens the first thing I do is a microscopic examination of the feces. If that is clear, I do a radiograph and bloodwork. You might want to retreat Miss Red Bottom for lice, change your nesting material, and be sure to treat the area your girls are staying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: