Two kinds of nest boxes (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dancingbear, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Here's the one I call the "bookshelf nest box", (complete with a chicken):
    [​IMG]

They really like this one, most of the eggs are laid here.

Here's the group-style nest, it's being used more and more. Some days about a third of the eggs are laid here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a hook and eye to hold the lid up while I gather eggs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    wow I really like the bookshelf one! but I would use the group-style nest.

3. aberfitch

aberfitch Songster

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I like both!! I know my birds would love the second one. cause its dark and in the cracks! I will have to make me one like that.

4. eggchel

eggchel Crowing Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I like them both!

My ameraucana bantams and spitz pullets have been laying in the top of the hanging metal feeder. They are very good and never poop in the feed, but sometimes I have to did down to find all the eggs in the layer pellets. Silly girls.

5. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    In the group nest all of the eggs are in one spot. If you had a broody, would the other hens just take an empty spot, or would they sneak their eggs in when the broody is off the nest?

6. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    ours is similar to the group nester, but off the floor. I thought about putting the dividers back, because we didn't have them nailed in there and they liked to perch on them, the poo would go into the nests. so we are still figuring that one out. but they like it and use it well.

with dividers
    [​IMG]

current condition (those are plastic golf balls no eggs lol)
    [​IMG]

7. Chicken03

Chicken03 Songster

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Both of those are really nice. I really like the bookshelf one.

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:When I took that pic they were all in one place. Some days I've had 3 spots with eggs. And, they move the preferred spot often.

But, when I get broodies, I try to separate them from everybody else. Otherwise, yes, other hens will lay more eggs with the broody's eggs, no matter what kind of nest you have. I don't always have space available if I get a lot of broodies at once, so I always mark the eggs with the date I set them, and always start them all at one time. That way, I can easily see which ones are new, and remove them.

I check under all broodies each and every day, sometimes twice a day. They don't like it, they sometimes peck me, but they get over it. Usually, after the first week or so, they give up pecking me. They figure out I'm not hurting them, and that they still have eggs when I leave. I never add more later. That's just asking for problems at hatch time.

9. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:That's a nice one, too. I like it!

10. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    bethandjoeync - what part of Iron Station are you guys from? My wife grew up there - she's a 1999 East Lincoln grad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by