Two kinds of plywood...who knew?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EggsForIHOP, May 15, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I didn't! Apparently, there is EXTERIOR and INTERIOR plywood - I had to do the supply run for the coop - so I just asked for plywood (though I am 99% sure I told them what I was building). Point being - we must have ended up with the interior stuff, because it has started raining, construction is still underway and it is not painted yet, and now there is a warped spot in one of the walls with about a half inch gap between it and the stud - right on the corner!

Does anyone know if it will dry out and shrink back up to normal? Or should I just start planning on being able to fill that gap so I don't end up with a random draft in my coop?

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    All unprotected plywood will warp when it gets wet. The main difference between interior and exterior is the glue. If I were you I would go outside and put screws through the plywood into the stud before it dries.

3. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    It's already coming apart a little - like peeling apart - that was when DH said "What kind of plywood is this?" when he saw it and I said".....ummmm....pine? [​IMG] " I had no clue!It's still raining...hopefully the sun will put in at least a cameo appearance tomorrow and I can fix it. That's what he gets for letting me do the shopping tho!

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The "grade" and "rating" is stamped on the sheets, meaning it will tell you the finish and whether it's interior or exterior
    It's normally on the "bad" side

5. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Really blow hubby's mind tonight adn tell him you decided you should replace everythign with marine grade plywood.

Actually don't.

The biggest difference between exterior and marine grade is that the exterior stuff is allowed to have "voids" in between the plys, and marine grade isn't. Oh, and marine grade is pretty pricey.

6. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    I agree, add some more screws especially where it's warping... plus, try to protect it from the water as much as possible... Tarp, plastic sheets. I would also go back to where you bought it, and explain to the manager that you asked for expert advice from their employees, followed it and then explain what happened. NOT in a "you better fix this" tone, but a "what should I have expected from your store and can you help me out, it cost a lot of money" tone... [​IMG] otherwise you'll just put the manager on defense and not get anywhere. Good luck!! and keep us posted!! [​IMG]

7. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:NO NO NO I SHOULD DO THAT!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] After all, he did order more chickens without permission...it would ONLY be fair to make him switch it all out right?

all this 'grade' and 'rating' speak is FRENCH TO ME!! Ask me about pancakes, ask me about cooking eggs or bacon, but not wood...anything but wood! And you can ask in English or Spanish - but don't ask in French! French and lumber - two languages I don't speak!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by