Two Leg Injuries

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 8, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Hopefully someone can suggest something.

First, I have a young roo, about 10-12 weeks old who has injured his leg. I have no idea how he did it or what he did, but basically, he holds his leg straight out in front of him. At first, I thought he was suffering from hypothermia (it got cold!) but that was secondary to his leg problem because I've got him under a heat lamp. I've felt his leg and foot and moved it, but didn't elicit a response to pain. [​IMG] Can't feel anything obviously broken. [​IMG] Right now, he's isolated and under the heat lamp set far enough away to keep him warm. He refuses to stand up and when he moves, he often flaps around to steady himself. What do you suggest?

Second, my lone OE chick of about 7 weeks was squawking a bunch. I checked his food and water and after it was obvious that wasn't the problem, I picked it up and got blood all over my hands. Somehow the silly thing tore a toenail and it was bleeding. So, I pulled out the blue kote and painted his toes. It kicked the brush out of my hands once the antiseptic started working. It quieted down afterwards. Silly thing, his or her name is now Squawk. For some reason, I think of it as a "him" but honestly, I can't tell at this age. I'm hoping Squawk is a girl, but honestly, Squawk is such a pretty thing that I'll keep him if he is a roo. Any other suggestions for the torn claw?

2. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    for the torn toe make sure u keep it wrapped up & clean bcuz my turkey had a torn toe it got dirty & infected there was nothing
    for the vet to do except take it off it was so swollen & it was spreading the infection to the rest of the
    body. [​IMG]
    for the the roo, i don't know what to tell u i'm sorry, try giving him painkiller (like just a small drop otherwise birdie w OD [​IMG] )

good luck to ya

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Does the roo have bumblefoot? Any obvious injuries?

(are you the one on Youtube who hatched the double yolk by chance? you look familiar)

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:No, the roo doesn't have bumblefoot. I'm wondering now (gasp) if he has Marek's. Everyone else is okay, but he's not.

No, not on You Tube. Have not hatched a double yolk egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by