Two Male Ducks + Two Chickens (hens)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarajo, Aug 15, 2014.

1. sarajo

sarajo New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    North Texas
    I have a male mallard and a male pekin (both are about 5 months old) and two chickens(both hens about the same age). Does anyone have any advice about this situation? They are backyard pets. They have been friendly and happy with the chickens, but I'm afraid that they may be at that age where they should... be with some other ducks. I have never kept ducks or chickens, so I'm new to both situations and just want what is best for them. I would love to have more hens someday, but want to make sure I do my research and a lot of preparation before I do so. I don't have any interest in keeping more ducks, however. They are wonderful pets and a lot of fun, but are large and pretty messy. If I had a larger yard or a pond, I would LOVE IT, but more ducks don't fit into my situation right now. Thanks in advance!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Eventually your drakes will start breeding your hens which may result in serious injury or death for the hens. You will probably have to separate them or relocate either the drakes or the hens.

3. PalmRoyal

PalmRoyal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    Unfortunately I will have to agree with Sourland. Watch out for any breeding behaviors. My ducks are no stranger and will usually do the deed while everyone is within 5 feet of them, watching. So I think most duck should be easy to spot if they are taking a liking to someone. Then again, maybe you will get lucky and your ducks will not be into hens!

4. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    A male duck will kill a chicken if he breeds with it. Ducks breed much differently than chickens.

5. sarajo

sarajo New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    North Texas
    Thanks to you all. I was afraid that they would cause them harm, but it sounds like it is pretty serious. They are exhibiting some pretty straight forward and at times aggressive mating behaviors with each other and at least one of my hens. I think I'll have to find them a new home. I think I have a friend that would take them. :( I'll be asking her tomorrow.

6. PalmRoyal

PalmRoyal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Lima, OH
    I am very sorry to hear that. Possibly you could keep one and get a two females to keep around? Just adding suggestions so you can keep one as a pet. Duck eggs have a slightly different taste, but taste amazing in baking products such as cakes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by