1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Two male pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ReignamdLuna, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ReignamdLuna

ReignamdLuna In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2017
    So I have two male pekins that will be a yet old in a month or so and I've noticed an odd behavior.

For the last couple of weeks I've noticed one of them (duck a) going after (duck b) aggressively and biting at his neck constantly. Today I noticed that they were now going at it again but this time instead of one attacking the other they're both picking at each other. I even go close to see if they'd stop but they didn't. I don't know if this is normal behavior at this age or if it's something else?

Thanks for your help in advanced

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    hmmm... pics? it almost sounds like they are trying to breed. even if they are both males young birds will try. (i think they are confused when their hormones start to kick in)

Hybridchucks and ReignamdLuna like this.
  3. Jacqulyn

Jacqulyn In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2018
    NW New Jersey
    Could be trying to breed as ButtonquailGirl said, or they could be establishing dominance.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Sounds like sexual maturity. Sometimes two Drakes don't get along..During mating season Drakes get aggressive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: